Saturday, 1 November 2014
Subway to open in Oakham
It been announced that Oakham is just about to get it's own Subway franchise to add to all the coffee shops, sandwich shops and restaurants we already have in the High Street. Soon the only place you will be able to buy anything but a lunchtime solution will be the charity shops in the town. Question is how long before they start selling tea, coffee and cake like help the aged in Melton.
Rutland is currently one of the few places in the country that you won't find a McDonald's or a KFC, but after the announcement of a Subway franchise one wonders how long before they both open a restaurant in Oakham. My guess is by the end of 2016 we will have both in the town.
The sad thing is franchises take money out of the local economy while locally run sandwich and coffee shops do more to support it, and it be those local shops that suffer. In terms of jobs the coffee and sandwich produce on only low paid and unskilled work, normally undertaken by young workers.
One has to wonder how many coffee shops and sandwich shops the local economy can support in Rutland before we see a new type of death in the High Street. These type of operations require a high throughput of customers to make a profit, and if you can't get the footfall then these businesses will close.
Rutland is currently one of the few places in the country that you won't find a McDonald's or a KFC, but after the announcement of a Subway franchise one wonders how long before they both open a restaurant in Oakham. My guess is by the end of 2016 we will have both in the town.
The sad thing is franchises take money out of the local economy while locally run sandwich and coffee shops do more to support it, and it be those local shops that suffer. In terms of jobs the coffee and sandwich produce on only low paid and unskilled work, normally undertaken by young workers.
One has to wonder how many coffee shops and sandwich shops the local economy can support in Rutland before we see a new type of death in the High Street. These type of operations require a high throughput of customers to make a profit, and if you can't get the footfall then these businesses will close.
.jpg)
6 comments:
Hello
You make some interesting points. However, as a rutland native and with exception of the franchise fee, all the income will be to support my family and in turn the local economy. All contracted work regards the shop will, where possible, go to local builders etc many of whom are friends.
We could open a shop without the brand. However, after assessing the pros and cons this is best for our family.
Personally I can't afford to eat out and I think this will be welcomed by the young people of Oakham.
As for any jobs I expect they will go to young people because they are cheap.
last month I applied for a job at Tesco and passed the on-line part and was invited to a interview that was not a interview and the session with 14 others lasted nearly three hours and Tesco did not have the manners to contact me. I notice all the new staff taken on are students who are paid below the min wage. So I fully understand some peoples dislike of large companies. I also see so often we are told we should just shop at independents why most of them in Oakham only employ family or just themselves most don't live in the town. People think Oakham is a pot of gold, its not. I hope this family who will invest more than the average house in Oakham have a success, although I fear there is not enough footfall you only have to talk to existing retailers to find that out.
It turns out this was a hoax.
I started to suspect and contacted
Subway. Then I noticed a Twitter Admission.
Oakhamsubway @Oakhamsubway
1.The ‘OakhamSubway experiment’ was a short term, intensive two-tiered campaign to assess Rutland’s appetite for well-known F&B ‘brands’
Thanks for clearing that up Martin
Have you read their recent numbered tweets, there is a suggestion of humour which I must have failed to notice. I now know not to believe tweets.
Whoever it was must have guessed they were going to be found out when I pointed out the possibility they were fake and said I would make a phone call. Strange of them really, I agree some older folk would not want a Subway but younger people do so they will be disappointed. There is a need for modern places for the younger community.
PS I pity them, when you look at the comment they made here similar to the responses they gave on twitter all now deleted. I can only think they are a odd troll
Post a Comment