Wednesday, 24 September 2014

Richard Bacon leaves BBC Radio 5 Live

It was sad to listen to the last broadcast by Richard Bacon on BBC Radio 5 live this afternoon as he said his farewells. He was one of the those broadcasters that was happy to sure his thoughts and his lives with the audience and you felt sort of at home with him and that is a special talent that not all broadcaster have. For those skills he had the perfect slot in the afternoon where he could show case his many talents.


Richard Bacon joined BBC Radio 5 Live to present the late night show "Up All night" on Saturdays and Sundays on BBC Radio 5 live, but it wasn't a long stay at the station before he decided to try his hand as DJ with a commercial station. In 2007 he returned to the station to the late night programming on the station that eventually earned him a day time slot after he stood in  for Simon Mayo. In fact it was Simon Mayo slot he took over from Monday to Thursday in 2010. It was a slot he was to make his own and his loyal supporters followed in in droves on Twitter and his twitter account has 1.5 million followers which makes him one of the most widely followed British personalities.

I will miss his show on the radio, as I know many other swill. His style and his whit all brought something special to the afternoon, when I had time to listen to him chatting with his guests. I know he will go on to greater things but radio seemed to me the place where he felt most comfortable and I wish him well. I just hope one day in returns to his roots and he comes back to the little speakers in the car and the living room to brighten our days. Good Luck Richard.

Finally I finish the post with Richard Bacons last words on the show, "I remember appearing as a guest on Simon Mayo’s show and sitting in the studio thinking I’d love to do this for a living. It was then my highest aspiration and it’s been everything that I hoped it would be and really a lot more. So I’m going to live a fairly complicated life living between LA, London and New York but I will always be a listener to Radio 5 live. To that troll I made a documentary about who was very upset when I replaced Simon Mayo – it is now safe to turn the radio back on.” 

No comments: