Saturday, 20 July 2013

Comic Mel Smith Dies

I was looking on the BBC website and I came across the sad news that Mel Smith has died at the age of sixty of a heart attack.


Many people will remember him for programmes like "Not the Nine O'Clock News" and "Alas Smith and Jones" , the latter running from January 1984 to October 1998. He was also formed the company Talkback with Griff Rhys Jones which became on of the UK's leading production companies. 

 

He died at his home on 19 July. According to reports the  London Ambulance Service was called to his home in north-west London and the comedian was confirmed dead by the ambulance crew. A later post-mortem confirmed that he had died from a heart attack.

He was part of a generation of comedic/actors that included his long time television and stage partner Griff Rhys Jones, Rowan Atkinson and Pamela Stephenson all of whom rose to fame in the television programme "Not the Nine O'Clock News. It was on that programme I first came across him and started laughing at his brand of humor him and his co stars peddled on the show, later like many I went on to watch him in "Alas Smith and Jones" on the BBC.

Like many I will miss not having him about on this planet, and over the years he has given me many a laugh especially with Griff Rhys Jones. Like always my heart goes out to his family and his friends and all that met and worked with this great man.

No comments: