Thursday, 16 October 2014

The Ipcress File

Always nice to be able to take some time out from work to watch a film and that is the position that I find myself in for a pleasant change. The film I have chosen is rather old but I always feel that doesn't matter too much if the film is good and this one is good. It Len Deightons, "The Ipcress File" a spy thriller of the best kind, from 1965.



The film starts with a the kidnapping of a scientist and the death of his secret service bodyguard who gets replaced by the lead character Harry Palmer a former sergeant with a criminal past who starts to investigate the case of the missing scientists. Harry Palmer has a natural contempt for authority and  is surprised to be selected for such a mission and believes he has been chosen because he is expendable. So starts a story that sees our hero becoming not only a target of the kidnappers but the CIA too. The question being can he solve the mystery of the Ipcress file.

Don't want to go into much detial but it is a wonderful film made in the time of the cold war and the classic bond films and a fine example of this type of British Film. Although it might seem at times a little dated it is a reflection of the time it was made. Personally I looking forward to watching it again.

No comments: