Thursday, 7 August 2014

Ford Fiesta 1.0L EcoBoost

As you know if you read the previous post we hired a car for the day. The car in question was a Ford Fiesta 1.0L EcoBoost and I thought it would be interesting to write about what the car is like to drive.


The first thing to say is that it is a nice car in general even in its two door version it feels roomy and would suit a small family on both long and short journeys and not cost you a fortune to run. There was a lot of adjustment to the driving position which was a big positive but on the downside I did feel I was sitting miles above the road which made it feel I was driving a van rather than a car, but that is probably just me. To drive itself, it was easy and generally effortless physically even when parking thanks to the power assisted steering. 

The levels of interior comfort and good for a car in its class and the radio is everything you would expect for a Ford, who in my experience think about how music will sound and design the layout of their speakers and audio systems appropriately. The seats are comfortable and firm and you feel well supported which is a plus and the safety features are good. The ride is fine, if a little soft at times but that can be a plus these days with the state of the roads in the UK and with the car being high up you know you won't bottom it easily.

The engine is amazing for it size you wouldn't think it was so small when you drive the car normally, the only thing that possibly gives it away is the noticeable turbo lag when you need power. It is like the car thinks about it before delivering the power you need. It not a problem once you get use to it but at first you do wonder if the engine is going to die rather provide the power you need to overtake and accelerate. On the plus side the fuel economy is amazing with 54.6 mpg with mixed driving on Wednesdays trip and on 49.9 mpg on a similar trip in the same car in the Winter this year. That is is an average of  over 52.2 mpg over the two trips. 

The final question is would I but one, and the answer as a everyday car yes I would but not it isn't the a car that going to bring excitement into your life, but I guess that isn't what the EcoBoost version of the car is meant to do.

No comments: