Tuesday, 5 August 2014
Well done Baroness Warsi
Well done Baroness Warsi for being a Conservative with conviction and sticking by what she believes not because it is party policy but because it is right. Like Edwina Currie, who put what she believed in first, she earned a bit of my respect instantly.
She resigned her post in the Cabinet over the Governments policy on Israel after the action by that country in Gaza recently. She said government policy is "morally indefensible, is not in Britain's national interest and will have a long term effect on our reputation internationally and domestically". To be honest I couldn't agree more with her.
The Government policy in my view makes us no better than us supporting the Russians in the Ukraine when what they are doing is wrong. Yes the Government in Israel has every right to defend it people but we must remember they have the most sophisticated anti missile system in the world, which is part funded by the American Government, and this is used against crude home made missiles which are relativity easy pickings. My view is, if Israel really wanted to stop the missiles being fired into it would talk with the groups firing the missiles and stop turning Gaza into a Ghetto.
Although I wouldn't go as far as John Prescott when talking about the situation in Gaza I do think he has a good point about what Israel is doing to the people of the Gaza. While I find what Vivian Wineman, president of the Board of Deputies of British Jews, and Mick Davis, chairman of the Jewish Leadership Council rather hypocritical when they said in response 'The systematic and premeditated slaughter of the Holocaust cannot in any way be compared to the conflict in Israel and Gaza.’ when that is what the Israeli Government have been doing by doing to the civilian population of Gaza for three weeks.
But back to Baroness Warsi while I am no lover of the Conservative Party I do respect politicians that stick to the beliefs and fight their conner for what they believe in. It is what I believe all politicians should do and what I think is wrong with the UK political system is that politicians are whipped to follow the party lines either through bullying or by bribes. Such a system can never be considered to be right. Baroness Warsiby by taking the action she did has probrably ended her political career, that strength of conviction deserves respect especially when they have a good point and they are in fact right.
She resigned her post in the Cabinet over the Governments policy on Israel after the action by that country in Gaza recently. She said government policy is "morally indefensible, is not in Britain's national interest and will have a long term effect on our reputation internationally and domestically". To be honest I couldn't agree more with her.
The Government policy in my view makes us no better than us supporting the Russians in the Ukraine when what they are doing is wrong. Yes the Government in Israel has every right to defend it people but we must remember they have the most sophisticated anti missile system in the world, which is part funded by the American Government, and this is used against crude home made missiles which are relativity easy pickings. My view is, if Israel really wanted to stop the missiles being fired into it would talk with the groups firing the missiles and stop turning Gaza into a Ghetto.
Although I wouldn't go as far as John Prescott when talking about the situation in Gaza I do think he has a good point about what Israel is doing to the people of the Gaza. While I find what Vivian Wineman, president of the Board of Deputies of British Jews, and Mick Davis, chairman of the Jewish Leadership Council rather hypocritical when they said in response 'The systematic and premeditated slaughter of the Holocaust cannot in any way be compared to the conflict in Israel and Gaza.’ when that is what the Israeli Government have been doing by doing to the civilian population of Gaza for three weeks.
But back to Baroness Warsi while I am no lover of the Conservative Party I do respect politicians that stick to the beliefs and fight their conner for what they believe in. It is what I believe all politicians should do and what I think is wrong with the UK political system is that politicians are whipped to follow the party lines either through bullying or by bribes. Such a system can never be considered to be right. Baroness Warsiby by taking the action she did has probrably ended her political career, that strength of conviction deserves respect especially when they have a good point and they are in fact right.

No comments:
Post a Comment