Friday, 3 February 2012

Friday Flurries

The cold spell continues and with it came the a light dusting of snow that covered the ground making the village look lovely this morning after the sun came up. There wasn't very much snow but enough to make a few snow balls if collected together, although there is more on the way for the weekend.


I woke early again and before the sun was in the sky and waited for the girls to get up before I got out of bed. Soon they left for school and I got ready to go and get Lucy from the city. Given the snow I wasn't sure which route was best so I took the safer route and stuck to the main roads, although I did think being bus routes the country roads would have been clear. In the end this took longer than expected with major road works along the road between Melton and Leicester.

This made me late which I was trying to avoid. I really do hate it. Soon I had Lucy with me and we traveled back towards home chatting and listening to music. She even gave me a birthday card for tomorrow, which was lovely of her Of course she wanted me to open it straight away, but I said we should wait until tomorrow. Anyway, this time to avoid the congestion we took the normal route back through the villages, driving carefully as we did. As we got out into the countryside Lucy spotted the snow, which got thicker as we approached Rutland.

Our frist port of call was the supermarket to pick up the food for the next few days. Once Lucy got out the car you could almost feel her excitement at seeing the snow. She just warned to touch it and play with, slide in it and have fun. Unfortunately for Lucy, but fortunately for the customers the supermarket had gritted the path to the shop, but this didn't stop Lucy from finding the one bit of fresh snow to play with. It didn't take long to do the shopping and soon we were heading home.

As soon as we got in the garden Lucy was in her element. Part of the garden this time of year is always in the shade and it was covered in snow. She headed straight for it and was collecting it together, scraping things clean and generally having fun. Although there wasn't very much of it there was still enough to raise a smile until her hands got cold and it was time to come inside.

Once in the house I got on with making some nice warming bacon and mushroom rolls while Lucy went to look for George and let him out to play with her. Soon we were all filling our tummies and before we got into the serious business of playing for the rest of the afternoon. As usual we played all kinds of games and a once tidy family room became untidy again, but I guess that is half the fun or playing.

Lucy really wanted to pick up Catherine and Emily so we headed out just before school finished for the day to get Catherine and see Emily even if it was only quick kiss and a cuddle, as she was off for a sleep over with her friend Millie. Lucy was pleased to see them and her little cuddle with Emily enough to keep her going until they met again. Catherine on the other hand had the rest of the afternoon and the evening to enjoy her company. As soon as they got home they started to play until it was time for dinner.

After a quick dinner there was an hour or so before bedtime for Lucy. Both girls made the best use of the time they could. I can't say how much I just love to listen to them playing and being part of there games. Eventually it became tome for Lucy to go to bed and after her stories, cuddles and kisses Lucy went off to sleep and Catherine went off to watch television on the computer and chat to her friends until her bedtime arrived and she went off to sleep and the house fell quiet.

It has been a good day if a quiet one. Lucy had great fun when she saw the snow. She was walking through it, touching it, throwing it about. It was lovely to see. I just hope we have some more snow tomorrow that she can really enjoy with her sisters. There was something unusual that cropped up but didn't spoil the day. Who knows what tomorrow might bring other than my Birthday. I love being with my family.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad you enjoyed the snow. I bet Lucy had a great day on Saturday.