Friday, 8 October 2010

Misty Friday

It was an slightly earlier start for everyone this morning. The car had gone into the garage to have parts and the supplier had sent the wrong parts and the car was still in Ashwell Motors. It turns out the correct parts were far more expensive than the ones they sent but because it was their mistake the supplier aren't going to charge the difference for the parts quoted. All the same it meant that Emily and myself had to get the bus into Oakham in the morning and we had to make sure we were there well in time.


With packed lunches made and breakfast eaten Emily and myself headed out into the day and what a misty day it was. From the school in Langham you couldn't see the roundabout down Burley Road. It was the second morning in a row that had started out this way but today it didn't look like the sun was going to burn through the mist like yesterday. As we waited for the Bus some school children were getting on a coach all dressed as refugees. Emily had a grand time talking to them as they passed she seemed to know nearly everyone of them. Unfortunately we had a long wait at the bus stop but it couldn't be helped given the weather I guess. The bus was late and so was Emily to school because of it. For me it just meant I had less time to kill in Oakham before I went to pick up Lucy.

I haven't really looked round Oakham for what seems a long time. I go to the supermarkets there but not really the other shops there, it just doesn't feel right especially in the morning. So it was odd to be there at that time of day. I thought about going for a pot of tea at the Castle Cottage tearooms but in the end I just looked around and looked in a few of the shops before heading off to wander round the Church, where I lite a candle to the ones I have loved and lost and it was off to the park. The park is so different on a misty morning, gone are the children full of joy to be replaced by the sound of the occasional crow calling it's mate in the distance. It seems a far cry from those lazy days of summer when it full of people enjoying the sun. All the same it was still very lovely just in a different way. 


Before too long I heard the bells of the church chime the quarter to the hour and I set off to get Lucy. Having no car wasn't going to stop me seeing Lucy, nothing would. Lucy, like Emily and Catherine, means the world to me as you might have gathered by now. There was a bit of confusion about the car seat, I missed something in a email when I replied last night, but that was soon sorted. I apologised for not seeing it and off we went. I was so pleased to see her and with her car seat in one hand and her hand in the other we set off to catch the bus home. 

I had never been on a bus with Lucy and I'm not sure how many buses she ever been on. I'm guessing not many. She seemed quite excited as we walked together. She was telling me all her news and what happening with her. I love they way she just chats away now. All to soon we were waiting together for the bus. Every time a bus arrived she wanted to get on it and asked if it is ours. This went on for sometime as four buses arrived before the number nineteen. When it did arrive on we hopped and we were soon heading home. She loved it and was soon peeping out of the windows as I held her saying when do we ring the bell. As she got off she said thank you to the driver and a waved him and the bus goodbye, It was so lovely when a lady that got off the bus commented on how sweet she was. I know that, but it nice to hear it from someone else too.


When we got home Lucy got on with playing between cuddles as always. She started on her tricycle in the family room riding it round and round and round. We put it in there the other day when we thought it might rain to keep it dry for her. Then it was off to the table for a while to do some drawing after she found some paper and a pencil sharpener. The only problem was we couldn't find a pencil and when I gave her a pen she tried to sharpen it. Thankfully I found one before the pen was ruined. There was a pencil down the side of one of the chairs. After doing some drawing we went to her room to play for a bit. Soon she was off in the toy cupboards finding all kinds of things to do. 

After lunch we headed out for a walk around the village. A few weeks ago we took George with us and she had a lovely time and we saw a pair of squirrels at the Church who George scared away. This time without George we thought we might get lucky and see them again but this time we hopped they wouldn't run away, but they were no where to be seen. We looked around the trees in the grave yard but nothing. Thankfully Lucy was not to disappointed and we headed inside the Church to have a look around. She loves it in there, especially the way the building makes her voice echo. She was soon putting the echo to the test. The Church itself was still all dressed up from the harvest festival, and although the flowers were past there best it was still looking lovely. Soon Lucy was piling the prayer cushions up on one of pews and making a tower out of them like they were building blocks. All to soon they came crashing down with fits of laugher from Lucy. Finally in the Church we went to play the panino, but for some reason it has disappeared which seems a shame especially if it is broken. She loves playing it. After the we finished in the Church we head down some of the village lanes looking at the houses and the birds that flew by before returning home. She was asking all kinds of questions.


When we got home I made a coffee before phoning the garage to find out about the car. As i talked to them the parts arrived and thankfully they said we could have it back soon. In the meantime Lucy spotted her bubble maker in the kitchen and I filled it with a soap solution and soon she was chasing around popping as many bubbles as she could with George's help before they both went off to play hiding seek as only George can in the long grass.

As the clock passed twenty past three Lucy asked about the girls for millionth time. She always asks where they are as soon as I pick up and again when ever there is a quieter moment in our play. This time I could say that Catherine will be home soon, and soon enough in through the door she came to big Lucy welcome before they went off to play. Emily meanwhile had called and she was heading to the bus station and she too would soon be home, however we were only going to see a fleeting glance of her as it turned out.


As it four approached it was time for Lucy's second bus trip of the day. This time it was off to Ashwell to pick up the car on the same bus Emily was coming home from school on. Lucy just about managed to give her a quick cuddle and a kiss as we got on the bus as I paid and Emily got off. Soon we were heading through the village and Lucy was looking out the window and amusing the other passengers with her chatter. She was in fine form. It doesn't take long to get to Ashwell and after a "thank you" for the bus driver and a wave. Soon we were waiting at the bus stop for the bus to leave so we could cross the road to the garage. 

Once at the garage we put her car seat back in the car and went off to collect the key. Pausing to look through the workshop window to look at the cars in the car and being repaired. She want to go in but I had to explain it not really a safe place to be if you are so small, but I did say we could go in the show room. Soon she was looking around the cars they had to sell there and I pointed to a soft top Mercedes and said that is what you need to buy Daddy when you grow up much to the amusement of the mechanic who came to give me the car key. It was well over forty five thousand pounds. Off we trotted to our car and we were soon heading home with new back brakes and free wheel bearings thanks to the mistake by the part suppliers. I must say I recommend Ashwell Motors to anyone.


When we goy home the house was full of noise. Charlie was here helping Emily clean her bedroom, well sort of helping. I think there was more fun going on at times than actually putting stuff away. All the same they had decided to tackle under the bed and they were determined to throw stuff away as they did it, which is always welcome. Emily and Catherine certainly have too much stuff in the room given they have a family room too. Meanwhile Catherine decided to play with Lucy in her room and stay out of the way. She hasn't been getting on too well with Charlie of late although a few months ago it was the other way round and she was Charlies best friend not Emily. 

With them all out of the way preparing dinner was a dream. I didn't have much time so not having little ones under my feet was a big bonus. We were meant to be having cottage pie but in the end there just wasn't the time to cook it in the oven. So it was mice, onions and carrots with mash potatoes and savoy cabbage. Thankfully the girls didn't mind too much and it made a change as we haven't had that in a long while. Nearly all of it was gone by the end of the meal and that is all that counts at the end of the day. 


There was fifteen minutes after dinner for Emily, Catherine and Lucy to play together. They made the most of their last minutes together as always before it was time for their cuddles, kisses and goodbyes. Lucy left the house eating her sweet and she had another sweet in her pocket for her sister Mary. When she got back to Oakham she gave me a kiss and a cuddle and she was gone until Tuesday when she comes to see us again.

With Lucy back at her mummies it was time to set off to take Emily and Catherine to meet their mum at McDonalds on the A1. It would be the frist time that we did the trip in the dark for ages and not something I was looking forward to. Normally I love driving at night normally but tonight was different for some reason. Maybe it is I that know the road to well or just didn't want them to leave. Whatever it was the drive seemed to drag and it felt like it took ages to get home tonight. I guess I can be thankful for one thing at least I didn't have to drive as much as I use to in the past.

It has been a lovely day and I really enjoyed my trips on the bus with Lucy. It was nice to do something new with her that I hadn't done before. It just a shame that she not here as much as I would like and that something that is taking a lot of getting use to, if I can get use to it. I love them all so much I just wish they could be together all the time, although I know it is unrealistic. What us adults do is shameful at times. I think modern life makes us give up to easily when we need to battle through. It is all part of the consumer society, it is why our parents did so much better than we do now at holding a family together. 

At least I can try and forget all about children for the weekend and enjoy the promised weather.

No comments: