Friday, 1 October 2010
Wet and Windy
Autumn was well and truly with us this morning when I woke up. It was wet and windy and the only good thing was it was at least still mild. Not the sort of day to be going out and about in the countryside and parks or to cheer the heart. It would have been nice to have a sunny day for the first day of the month and I hope it isn't a omen of what is to come for the rest of the weekend.
It was one of mornings where Emily needed a lot pushing out of the door. She just didn't want to get up and get going. She just wanted snuggle back down and go to sleep, however with a bit of nagging she managed to make it out the door and into Oakham to just about make her first lesson of the day. Catherine although sluggish had no such problems and made it with ease to school as always. Now she not going with Emily she is never late.
With the girls in school I had time to sit back read the news on the BBC website before a shower and shave. It is really nice when the house is quite just to listen to the silence. With the windows closed unless a plane flies over then you hardly ever here a thing here. I'm sure a bit of silence is really good for the mind now and again and lets you think about the bigger picture and what you want from life and how to achieve it.
As ten approached I set off for Oakham to get our little Lucy from her mummies. This nearly always puts me in a good mood these days and nothing can spoil that moment of seeing Lucy again. Today after I picked her up we headed off to the CoOp together for some important supplies. We needed some fresh bread, milk and lollipops for the toilet training. As we picked the lollipops off the shelves I explained what they are for and she was quite happy not to have one and wait for her rewards bless her.
Soon we were home again only to be welcomed by George and a wagging tail. Soon Lucy was telling him to sit and bossing him about. He takes it all bless him without complaint. Most of the morning was spent inside the house there wasn't much else to do, it was pouring down nearly all day and the during the morning it was at it's worse. Lucy was quite happy playing round the house and managed to make an almighty mess getting toys out in the family room until she found what she wanted. The one thing she had most fun with was Catherine's bicycle helmet which she wore for ages as she drove her little car around the house. All the time I kept asking about going to the toilet and although she used it once the other times were more of an excuse to wash her hands again. At least now she is sitting on the seat and not complaining that she will fall in the toilet. So are we getting somewhere and are passed that problem.
After lunch the nothing much changed in as far as what we did, it was still raining and we just played in the house until it was time to go to the supermarket to pick up supplies for the weekend. We tried to cover all the main meals and lunches so if the sun does come out over weekend we can make the most of the good weather. I really don't like being stuck in the house it doesn't feel like you are doing anything, but I guess I'm going to have to get use to it as we move towards the winter. I prefer the warm spring days and the summer when we can get out and about. I would rather be in a park with the girls than sitting at home. They get far more out of just letting off steam than just sitting around.
With the shopping out of the way it was time to head home to get Emily and Catherine from school. Of course they both got a big Lucy welcome when she saw them and she followed them around playing with them, making up for lost time. I just love the way they all get on most of the time. It's not like they don't fall out, that is bound to happen, but a lot of the time there just play together and all you hear is happy voices. That is what I like about families, the times of harmony and fun. They just eclipse the moments were it all seems not to be working. All you have to do is remember the good times and they are sure to come back. Yes, children can be difficult at times but that is part of their learning process and those times pass.
For dinner we had a chicken curry with pilau rice and nan bread. It is Catherine favourite dinner and for her the hotter the better, Emily and Lucy however have to lace their curry with yogurt to cool it right down. All the same they all love the rice and enjoyed their meal and I think it makes the house smell lovely for the rest of the day. I discovered the curry sauces that we used completely by accident last weekend when we visited the farm shop at Ashwell. They are really yummy restaurant style sauces and the best I have ever tasted.
Before bed time we did some cleaning together. Catherine and Lucy did the family room and Emily and myself did the kitchen. Catherine and Lucy did a really good job of cleaning up most of the mess that Lucy had mad during the day and emily was amazing in the kitchen cleaning the walls and the surfaces. Once we had finished there was just enough time for a quick play before Lucy's bedtime.
Everyone gave Lucy a bath this evening. I don't think there was one person that didn't help out at some point or another. She was so good in the bath and enjoyed it so much it was a struggle to get her out, but out she came and was soon wrapped in her ducky towel and sitting on my knee being dried and then dressed ready for bed.
Tonight she also wanted everyone to read her a story. Catherine went first, then Emily with a story about a potty, and finally it was my turn for the last story of the night. With kisses and cuddles from all the people that matter in her life she was soon asleep. She must have been worn out bless her because there wasn't a peep from her for the rest of the night.
With Lucy in bed it was time to do some final cleaning up for the day and put the last of her toys away for the morning. With the living room clear everyone could relax and Emily and Catherine want off to catch up on their favourite soap. Eastenders, before it was their turn to join Lucy in the land of nod.
Despite not being the best of days weather wise it has still been a good one on the whole. I would rather have got out a bit more and had some fun in the sun, but not everyday can be like that and I'm so looking forward to the rest of the weekend with the girls.




No comments:
Post a Comment