Friday, 16 March 2012

Fridays Musical Friends

Carrying on the theme from Wednesday of groups and bands that I have been introduced to through BBC Radio 6 Music, we have the now critically acclaimed band Elbow. It is a band I came across back in the mid to late summer of 2009 when I use to fill my evenings with music.


It is a band with strong connections to the station. Not only do they play their music but the lead singer Guy Garvey has his own show on Sunday Evenings.The track I have picked for the video clip is from a live performance they did for the BBC that was filmed in Manchester Cathedral singing the song "Starlings". In fact if you would like to see the whole of this concert you can follow this link - Elbow at Manchester Cathedral. What is interesting the show was originally recorded for BBC Radio 2 and features one of the few times I know of the station has broadcast a questionable word, but then I don't listen to BBC Radio 2, so I could be wrong. To be honest I'm not sure if they fit the BBC Radio 2 mould, but they probably wouldn't have got the exposure playing the BBC Radio 6 Music card where they fit so well.

If you have never heard of the band you are sure to have heard their music on various television programmes as background music. Have a listen, they are really good and deserve the success they are currently having. They might not be chart toppers, but they are special, and they will grow on you as they did on me back in 2009 when I heard "Station Approach" for the first time.

No comments: