Friday, 23 March 2012

Musically Different

If you look back at recent posts you will read about how I have been listening to the Radio, and in particular BBC Radio 6 Music, but that is not all I listen to. Sometimes I listen to music some might consider old fashioned in some kind of way. To me it is not old at all, as great music is just that, great music. There is more than what is in the charts and different kinds of music can grab you in a different way. Let me introduce you to Secret Garden, a group that you just have to listen to and let soak into your mind, and let it take you were it will.


I feel we don't have the time to listen to music like we did in the past although it there in our lives all the time, sometimes without us noticing. I know when I start the car the radio comes on for example, but sometimes I play no attention to the music that might be playing. The same can be said in shops which often play popular music that we just take in on a sub concuss level but rarely listen to. It even happens in our living rooms as we watch television or a film on a DVD. There is music all around us, but we are normally to busy just to listen and do nothing else.

The music of Secret Garden, and music like it, is different, in that it really demands you to take time to just listen to it while not doing anything else. It is not really classical and it not really easy listening, it is somewhere in the space between which has lead to the label "New Age" being applied to it. It use modern instruments and classical instruments to create a sound that will become the classical music of the future, carrying on the creative art of the composers of old.

It is sort of music I like to listen to if I just want to escape the modern world and all the problems I face. It is often beautiful, sometimes happy, maybe sad and always relaxing which gives it the power clam and take your troubles away, but in order to do that you have to let it become part of you. I often listening to it in times of stress and I know it helps me relax, and from that state I can see the natural beauty in the world and the beauty in the people in I know and care about, and that brings a warm glow to my mind.

Don't dismiss it as not being modern, for it is, but it just doesn't sound like it. Give it a go and sink into the music a let it take you where it wants. I recommend it for calming those hectic days we all have in this modern busy world. Take yourself some place and just listen to music.

No comments: