Saturday, 21 July 2012

Call of Cthulhu

There are sometimes you just want to escape from the world and enter another. Many people watch television, others get lost in music and some read. I hear that book called "Fifty Shades of Grey" is popular with women at the moment. I like to lose myself in a good computer game from time to time and that game I have picked is "Call of Cthulhu - Dark Corners of the Earth".


"Call of Cthulhu - Dark Corners of the Earth" is a first-person survival horror video game set in America in the early part of last century. The game combines intense action and adventure elements within an atmospheric crafted world that immerses you in the game play. It draws upon the your skills in exploration, investigation, and combat while battling evil incarnate with a plot to die for.

The story is based on the Cthulhu Mythos of HP Lovecraft, an American writer of fantasy and horror. It takes you into a realm of unthinkable evil, psychic possession, and mythical worlds. His work is profoundly influenced numerous fantasy and science fiction writers, including Stephen King and Anne Rice, and the games shows it heritage. 

I have been playing for about five hours on and off today, and I'm told by the statistics that I'm about sixteen percent in to the game. I haven't jumped yet, but I can see it happening before long. It almost happened when a thing with claws and teeth that nightmares are made of jumped me on its way to murder its own child.  

It is certainly a good way to forget your troubles and lose yourself for a few hours. As a game I can highly recommended it, despite it's age, on game play alone. It really does take you into the story and the challenges and keep you playing.

No comments: