Wednesday, 9 February 2011
Southend United
Something I don't talk about very much is that I follow Southend United and have since I left Essex back when I was eighteen. I would have said support but I really have never had the chance to see them so I think it is fair to say follow to acknowledge all those people that go to Roots Hall week after week and whose money have kept this tiny club going over the years.
Most people will have first come across this lowly club when Freddy Eastwood caused a massive upset by scoring the most amazing goal to knock a star studded Manchester United in the fifth round of the Carling Cup a few years back. It was one of the most beautifully executed free kicks I have seen, and I know that any player in the Manchester United Squad that had taken it, and like Freddy scored from it, would have remembered with with pride. It was performances like that which built the confidence in the club that resulted in us ending up in the Championship. But confidence only gets you so far and the there wasn't the money to keep us there and now we are back where we started in Division Two.
This session has seen the side being rebuilt and plans being put in place to secure the financial future of the club which is still at the moment losing money week on week. Thankfully the rebuilding of the side is going well and a cohesive team is being formed that is capable of winning matches at home and away against all comers. Once the constancy of the side comes into place they will be in a strong position to go for a spot in the play off if not later this session then in next. In fact I would go as far as to say with some effort they could even be in a automatic promotion place next session if they carry on improving as they have been in recent matches. As for the financial side of club, that could be it's downfall especially if it doesn't get it's new ground sorted soon and bring in the money through the gate.
People sometimes ask me why follow such a lowly club, well the answer is simple, the football is hard and although the games might not have the style of the top premiership matches they are full of guts and fight and everyone gives there all. It is what football to me is all about, teamwork and commitment.
Posted by
Roy
Labels:
Football,
Southend United,
Sport

No comments:
Post a Comment