Friday, 4 February 2011
Rushed Start
Waking up to see the clock said one minute to nine was the last way I wanted to start my birthday. I was meant to be taking Lucy to nursery at eight thirty and I had the Emily and Catherine to get to school.
In fact it wasn't what I wanted at all. I was so looking forward to seeing Lucy's smiling face as well as that of Emily and Catherine. What happened instead was I was hurrying people around, phoning schools and finding out what had happened to Lucy. What a mess. The only way forward form that was to be positive, I not sure about what, but just be positive. The future is always bright if make that way and don't think bad of it or the people in it. I know where I want to be, I just have to work out the path to get there and that comes by living in the moment and turning the bad into good.
With the start of the morning gone things were a real rush. It was nice to get home after dropping off Emily and picking up the car seat from Oakham and to at last sit down and have a cup of coffee and start waking up properly. My morning was relaxing after the madness with little to do but open my Birthday cards and read all the kind and Birthday wishes comments on Facebook.
As noon approached I headed out to pick up Lucy from nursery. I got my usual warm welcome and she instantly went in her bag and produced a birthday card to me that she presented proudly too me. I opened it and inside she had drawn a picture. It was lovely the way she smiled when I asked if she had drawn it and she said yes. I was so nice to see her, especially today.
As we walked back to the car we talked. As always I asked what she had been doing and she said "I can't tell you". This is starting to get worrying. This is the third time she has said this too me in succession. Any question at all about what she has done meets with the same response. I'm not sure why she is doing it she use to be so open although rather vague as all three year olds are. It like she has been told to do this. It's not like her to have secrets and it is too early an age to put such responsibility on a child. I really believe you should never lie to a child if asked a direct question, and you should never expect them to lie for you. With children you just give them the information in a way they will understand and as they get older you can fill in the gaps.
The afternoon was rather odd too. Normally when she arrives she is a little bit sensitive and crys for the littlest things in order to get what she wants, but we have been working against that for the last couple of months and we soon get her back from the stage. Normally within ten to fifteen minutes of her being here. We also been tackling her fear of spiders by giving them names and telling her that if she say's hello to them they will never hurt her. However, today we couldn't really get her out of it. The littlest thing would set her off and she would be in my arms for a cuddle. I knew she had a cold and was still a bit under weather but when she was really ill like the last two times she had been here she wasn't like this at all. At one point she even did something naughty which I pulled her up only to burst into tears and need a hug. It was like she was being naughty to get attention. It really wasn't Lucy at all.
Thankfully things started to improve eventually to some degree by the time we went to Oakham to pick up Emily from school . Lucy gave Emily another of her special welcomes and did the same to Catherine when we all got home. They settled down to play in the family room until dinner was ready. I cooked just for Lucy tonight and cooked later for Emily and Catherine. Lucy didn't seem to mind. Iy just made things a bit easier.
After Dinner the girls went carried on playing with Lucy and at one point we put Sybil in the Dolls House and she was running up and down the stairs much to everyones amusement. It was lovely to see them all laughing especially Lucy after the afternoon. All too soon it was time for Lucy to go to bed and she settled down nicely. She had been asking if she could stay for the last few times she has come home to Langham so it was lovely to say yes and be confronted with a lovely smile. With Lucy in bed Emily and Catherine got on with chatting with their friends and watching television until bedtime.
It was a strange Birthday and not one of the best I have ever had. There wasn't the money for a party tea and the only present I got was a free one from Lucy, her cold. Oh well at least the present will last a while.
No comments:
Post a Comment