Monday, 18 June 2012

Under A Killing Moon

Not sure why but I was just cruising around the internet in a particularly bored moment and came across a bit of a blast from the past, a game called "Under the Killing Moon".  A game I first played when it came out to many years ago to mention. It was the first game I played that needed a CD and I upgraded the computer and the memory to play it.


The game is an interactive adventure game based around the character of Tex Murphy, and 1930's style private investigator in a post nuclear world. Playing the lead character your mission was simple to save the world from an evil force destroy the world. The game is lovely rendered in 3D and the user is allowed to explore it at will and question other characters solving puzzles to progress in the game. With hours of play and a friendly interface it was a simple joy to play. 

During it time it was simply a breath taking game that pushed the boundaries game play making every use of the computer hardware of the time. It took game playing to another level and heralded the sort of games that we find on consoles today. It gave us a glimpse of the future and let us experience it for the first time.

Somewhere I have the four CD's with the game on them. All that is need is a computer to run it on, so maybe next time I'm bored I will dig them out and build an old style DOS box to run them on. It would be interesting to see how well it measures up to the games of the moment. 

No comments: