Thursday, 7 June 2012

Wet and Grey Thursday

The weather seems so unsessional at the moment, rather than sunny and mild it is just wet and cold, not really what you would expect of early June. It really limits what you can do, but in true British tradition you just have to try and do your best and make the most it. Something it seems we are meant to be legionary for that a round the world, although secretly I think we just like to think of ourselves that way. 


The day started with Lucy little voice calling Daddy which never fails to make me smile. Soon I was up and with her things we headed downstairs to wake up with a drink while we watch television before breakfast. After breakfast we played together, but not far from Lucy's mind were her sisters and she kept asking if she could wake them up. I had to explain they were tired and we better let them have a lay in. In the end Catherine made an appearance and before I went out with Lucy we woke up Emily for the day.


Our trip was to the Post Office that opens in the Village Hall two mornings a week. It a travelling Post Office and a service a lot of people in the village seem to use. They even have a coffee bar in the main hall where people met up and talk over a nice cup of tea and coffee. On the way there we found a black cat, and it was just seconds before Lucy had her confidence and she was stroking her like they had been best friends for years. Our business at the post office didn't take long and we head across the road to the church. 


When we got inside the church Lucy head ed straight for the piano. Soon she had herself a chair and I lifted the lid and she was playing away. It still amazes me that she has a good ear for music at an early age. The notes she pressed together as played didn't seem to jar, but instead seemed to be in harmony, like they are parts of cords. After she finished playing on the piano we played various games in the church most of which involved ordering me about,  before had to leave. On the way in we had noticed a memory tree for the Queens Jubilee and so i ask Lucy what her memory was and she mentioned a Jubilee bear and so I wrote a tag for her and added it to the tree before we left.


When we got home we all organised lunch and people had the things they fancied from the food cupboard before we headed out to Oakham to do the shopping. There we dropped off Catherine and her friend who were off out around the town, did the shopping and then returned home to Emily who was talking to her friends on the computer. Lucy did a variety things in the afternoon from playing with me and her big sister to resting and watching a few programmes on the television. In the end Emily left us to go swimming with her friends and we headed back out to Oakham to pick up a cold and wet Catherine.


When we got home I got on with cooking a nice warming roast chicken dinner with all the trimmings except bread sauce which only I seem to like these days. Thankfully Lucy settled herself down and watched a film and left me alone to get on with cooking. Just before it was ready Emily returned and everyone sat around the table to eat. After a little play Lucy went up to bed and after her stories, kiss and cuddles she went off to sleep. Sometime later Emily and Catherine went off to bed and the house fell quiet for another day.

I'm getting to that point that I want to go out in the fresh air and sunshine, but alas that isn't to be for at least another day. The weather forecast for tomorrow is much like today and I can see it being another say where going to the park is going to be out of the question. I just hope the weather people have got it wrong but I fear from todays weather they might be right.

No comments: