Thursday, 15 September 2011
Children
While I was waiting in the car for Emily to come back from her elective in the school car park I was listening BBC Radio 5 live. A station I often listened to in the past and a station I have started listening to again. The presenter, Richard Bacon whose wife is having their frist baby, was asking a guest if having a family affected his life. The answer he received was that his life was different but better and he thought it was the best thing that happened to him.
Instantly I knew what the guest meant. He said how he looked back to all the things he did before and found he was getting more enjoyment from his family than he did before. I know I can connect with that too. What ever happens I know that having children has meant the world to me and I love them all deeply and have so much fun with them.
On the flip side I also know where the presenter is coming from. When I was first presented with a baby I knew it would change my life as well as not knowing what I was meant to do with it. As it happened it probably affected my life more than the average father, but that is another story, and one that will come out in time.
I gave up so much of what I loved in life to have children. Things like the work, theatre, music and concerts, museums, going to the cinema, dining out, or just going to the pub for an evening with friends. All things I love doing and all things I wish I could do now, but they require someone to come and babysit for me. In the past I never got the chance because things I was told that were inaccurate or now that I'm my own and I just have to be there for them.
Still having the space and time do them would be great but my family comes first and the rewards at the end are greater. You have to put your family before yourself and grab what time you can for doing the things you did before. The joy of being with children and doing things with them can't be under estimated. I also know that one day when they are gone there is still enough time left to enjoy those things of the past as well, but at the end of the day I know the fun I have now when we are altogether is second to none. The love you have for you family and the love you share together is one of the greatest things on earth, and their is only one love better.
So like the guest on Richard Bacon's show, I agree that having a family is the best thing in the world and he doesn't have anything to worry about. Yes life will be different, but life will be great. Just takes a little getting use to at first but rewards are greater than the sacrifices.
Finally, talking about children, I'm hoping they can all be together again at the weekend. It will be over a month since we saw Lucy and I can't say how much we all miss seeing her. The plans aren't settled yet. I sent a text earlier in the week with a pick time for Friday but I'm still waiting reply and to see if I can take her back on Monday evening instead of Sunday. I haven't seen her for over a month and it would be nice to spend some quality time with her on my own on Monday. I'm sure it will get sorted and I can't wait to see Lucy and the girls together again. I just hope it is for three nights and not two, I just don't see enough of her or even hear what she is doing, which makes me sad.
Posted by
Roy
Labels:
Thoughts

No comments:
Post a Comment