After dinner the girls played together until it was time for Lucy to go to bed. Emily was going to read her the first story but somehow Catherine managed to get their first, so Emily read her the second. Finally I read her one more story before giving her kisses and cuddles and after another tiring day she fell straight to sleep.
Saturday, 17 September 2011
Sun and Showers
It was a day of sun and showers. From one moment to the next you really didn't know what was coming along weather wise. At one minute you could be looking out of the window and the village church would be surrounded by grey cloud then when you looked twenty minutes later it would be surrounded by sun. Thankfully the most of the showers were light and short until late afternoon when they decided to let rip and rain poured down.
It was lovely hearing Lucy's voice in the morning calling my name and it to see her beaming face when I walked in the room. It was long before she gather her things and came downstairs. She wanted the television on and settled down while I made her a cup of tea in her beaker and a coffee for myself. We sat together as we both woke up. I'm not sure what we watched I didn't really care.
Before too long Catherine joined us and made breakfast for herself and Lucy. Good thing I had got some fruit the day before because Lucy had already polished off a banana before she polished off her breakfast. I'm not sure were she puts it all. With breakfast out of the way they both went off to play. Given they both love drawing and painting I thought that was whet they might both do, but I was wrong. Imaginative play was the order of the day. Even when Catherine wanted to watch one of her favourite programmes this continued for Lucy and she took George around the garden for a pretend walk, marching as she went.
As it approached eleven we got ready to pick up Emily from sleep over at her friends in Oakham. All morning Lucy had been asking when she was coming home. When we arrived I was greeted by her friends dad. His only words being never again. He had five almost teenagers for the night and after telling each other ghost stories they wanted to do anything but sleep. According to Emily she can remember the clock ticking past six in the morning before they finally settled down to sleep. Although it sounds like they had a great time I do feel for him. Emily was tired, as you can imagine but she was happy to see her sisters again too.
Before we left I had put on lunch. Roast Pork, boiled new potatoes. steamed fresh peas and carrots and spring greens. The idea was by having Sunday dinner on today we would be able to spend more time doing things tomorrow when the weather forecast seemed better. I wanted to maximise the fun we all had together. As it cooked I listened to them playing in the background and soon we were all round the table eating and chatting, and with tummy's full they went off to play before we headed out again.
One of the places Lucy wanted to go to when I picked her up was Northfield Farm. She wanted to see the piggies again. I can understand why, earlier in the year we had watch the birth of piglets and it had stuck in her memory. She even mentioned it as we pulled up in the car. Thankfully we we got to the place where the piglets and thier mothers kept we found new piglets. The ones she saw born would be as large as the a mummy pig by now. She loved them as did her sisters. What I like about the farm is I feel it gives them connection with nature and the food we eat which is a wonderful thing.
The next destination was the park in Oakham. Lucy ran to the park and when we got there she was sitting on the big swing. She had got on one of them all by herself and had the big "I have done" it smile on her face. Emily joined her and as I pushed Lucy she was telling me how she was a big girl now. It was ever so sweet. Soon Lucy ran off to go to the play ground and Emily and Catherine followed her and soon they were all playing with her. Emily was encouraging Lucy to tackle some of the things she is yet to master on the climbing frames. We were there for quite awhile but in the end a shower came along and spoilt the fun. What was really nice was when Emily gave Lucy her top to keep her dry. It was a nice show of sisterly love and one that Lucy found touching.
Once we had finished at the park we had some shopping to do. This was slightly more unusual in that we were buying party food. Back in late June I had said to Catherine that for her birthday we would do a birthday dinner. In the end that never happened. Lucy was meant to be here for her birthday but because Lucy moved to Leicester that never happened. Today was the day to right that wrong. We went shopping for that birthday dinner. It was a bit late for cakes with candles, but at least we could make some cakes, have some party food and have some fun.
Once we got home I got the oven on and the girls started making cakes. As usual they made a real mess except of the bowls which were licked clean. As we waited for the cakes to cool I got on with making the rest of the party food. It wasn't long before were all sitting around eating our food and at last I had fulfilled my promise to Catherine that she could have a party dinner for her Birthday. I was just sorry that it took so long. Although I thought I had cooked to much food there was hardly anything left by the time we had finished.
After dinner the girls played together until it was time for Lucy to go to bed. Emily was going to read her the first story but somehow Catherine managed to get their first, so Emily read her the second. Finally I read her one more story before giving her kisses and cuddles and after another tiring day she fell straight to sleep.
When I came down I found Emily in the living room playing Harry Porter on the X Box and Catherine watching television in the family room. I love having the girls about and it was nice watching Emily play her game. I think the sleep over the night before had worn her out and all she wanted to do was to relax.
It has been a fantastic day and I know I have really enjoyed and from what the girls have said they have too. I just can't wait for tomorrow to come and although Sunday's are quite different and always feel more rushed I hope we can have another super day.
Finally, there is one thing spacial that came from the day, something I have probably lost track of recently that I was reminded of, and that is love can be freely given to who every you want to give it to, nobody can stop you giving it because it yours to give. When you give it, it doesn't come with conditions, it is just love. You give it freely to those you care most about no matter what they might do. You can only be true to yourself and what you feel in life.
No comments:
Post a Comment