Wednesday, 14 September 2011

Tomb Raider - Legend

It is a long time since I last sat on the floor for a couple of hours and turned on a game console. It seems ages since I have just sat down in front of the television and played a game. I just normally don't seem to have the free time, but this evening it was different.


For some reason last night I was talking to Emily about the game Tomb Raider and I was showing her screen shots of the games I use to play on the computer years and years ago. It was amazing, after teaching a course in game engines to  see how much the game has advanced from its humble beginnings as a MS-DOS game though to the fifth game in the series which ran on Windows 98 machines. It was probably for this reason that the game I picked to play was one of games in Tomb Raider series tonight.

Not wanting to have to move televisions about and unplug the XBOX 360 I settled on dusting off one of the old XBOX's and hooking it up to the television in the living room.  It restricted that game I could play to one of the versions for that system but that didn't really matter on a old analogue television. The game I picked in the end was Tomb Raider Legend which was the seventh in the series which was released back in 2006. I won't go into the story it would take a blog post of it own, but like all the games there is a central story that runs through the action.

Soon I had Lara Croft jumping about, swimming, shooting the baddies and the odd tiger like I had been doing it for years. It really didn't get long to get back in to the swing of things and solve the countless puzzles and avoid the traps without dying. It was great fun and lovely way to let go of the tensions of the day which had been busy from the moment I got up and took the girls to school. It was also nice just to be able to be absorbed in something completely. That doesn't happen as much as it should and now I'm looking forward to playing even more of the game.

When I finish that maybe I will move onto playing some of the Rockstar games I have, especially the Grand Thieft Auto games I haven't played on a full size console for years, especially the one I have for the XBOX 360 that I can't remember playing at all. However before that there is a promise to keep. 

I was reminded by the girls that years ago I promised them we would play football with them when I got back from work. In the end for various reasons this never happened and so now it time to keep that promise and play that game of football with them on Wednesday next when they come home early from school.

No comments: