Friday, 14 January 2011

From Rain to Sun

Weather wise it was a mixed day, starting off with rain and ending up with lovely sunshine by mis afternoon. Being mild it was just a shame that the ground is was so wet that we could make a trip to the park in the afternoon, because today was a day that Lucy comes to Langham.


The morning got off to a good start. Emily and Catherine were up early and soon dressed and fed and they made their own packed lunches allowing me to have a relaxing coffee before heading out with Emily to Oakham to her school. Things were a little different this morning in that we had to get Lucy's car seat from Oakham before taking her off to school. All part of the new method of doing things now that Lucy is at nursery. With the the seat collected, a good morning said to Lucy, I dropped off Emily at School then went to the CoOp on the morning milk run. What seems illogical to me is why I didn't pick up Lucy with the car seat and take her to nursery, after all it is on the way to the CoOp, but somethings in life have no logic I guess, and that is one of them.

With Lucy now being in nursery the mornings are different. They seem longer with not much to do other than work or just relax and wait. I guess I have just got use to her being about on Tuesday and Friday mornings and I make the most of my time with her so I had a routine based around her. Now that routine has changed and I feel at a lose end. I just don't know what to do with myself. Watching television for entertainment when all that is on are the boring day time TV shows isn't really an option and nor is sitting on the computer playing on Facebook and such like. I thought of getting some more work but a two hour block isn't a useful amount of time and although three hours is the cost of the extra hour in nursery without childcare costs isn't an cost effective option. I guess in a few weeks the new routine, whatever it turns out to be, will kick and things will feel normal again. 


With the morning gone and noon approaching it was time to set out Oakham again to pick up Lucy. It was lovely to see her and she ran to me and gave a massive hug after she had her shoes on. When I first saw her she was sitting on the story mat listening to a story and then she was hugging me for dear life. She looked lovely in a her new dress and top. As I got her coat on I checked she had everything with her. She takes her new toy dog to nursery with her and last time she managed to forget it and nearly did the same today. 

Soon we were marching off to the car together. She was chatting away and said something about a Birthday card and seemed a bit upset that she had forgotten in the morning. All I could think of was it was something to do with a party she is going to next Sunday. Her first ever party. I wasn't sure it was important or not but I said she could take it on Monday and that seemed to be alright with her. It's probably her lack of the concept of time that was the problem rather than her forging the card. 

Our next port of call while were in town was the supermarket to get some food for lunch and dinner later in the day. It is always a pleasure going round the supermarket with Lucy. As I have said before she has this natural ability to make people smile and today wasn't an exception to that rule as we whizzed round with Lucy sitting in the trolly and collecting the things I passed her and carefully placing them around her. The shopping didn't take long and when we got home we didn't have anywhere to park, as people were collecting their children from nursery at the Langham Primary School. So to kill a few minutes we all popped off to the Church to have a look around. We had a great time, Lucy playing with the piano and me pretending to be a vicar giving a sermon from the pulpit before we returned home.


When we got home we were warmly welcomed by George, who was more than pleased to see Lucy as always. As soon as she had said hello George off came the coat and she marched off into the family room to play leaving me to make everyones lunch. Today we had a favourite, bacon and mushroom rolls, which has to be one of the most yummy foods around, after all who can resist the smell of cooking bacon. I even know a few ex-vegatians who succumbed and were turned back to eating meat. 

With lunch out of the way I headed into the family room to play with Lucy and we got out some of the games she got for Christmas and started to play with them. She was having a super time especially playing Peppa Pig snakes and ladders with the house rules and she managed to beat me twice. I wasn't close to the finishing square on either occasion. It was great to play some board games with her as with some of the games she got and it that and a bit of play in her bedroom with her dolls house took us nicely up to the time to fetch Emily from school.


It never takes long to get to Oakham from Langham, it's only 2 miles and there is never no traffic compared to Leeds where we use to live. Travelling 2 miles there could take 20 minutes in Rutland the same distance takes about 5 minutes. Soon Emily was in the car and Lucy was giving her a cuddle and a kiss and we were all heading back home to see Catherine.

Catherine was on the computer when we got home and Lucy went off to find her and give her the same welcome that she gave Emily just minutes ago. Catherine finished what she was doing and then it was done to play with Lucy while I got on with making everyone tea and Emily got on with her homework in her bedroom. They both were having a grand time from all the noise I could hear from the kitchen and they were soon joined by Emily. It is lovely the way her older sisters love playing with her. It would be so easy for them to do there own thing but somehow one of them always has her attention. 


Soon everyone was sitting down at the table for dinner and Lucy was entraining us all with her little ways and sayings. It was lovely to be all together and enjoying our food with light banter and fun and recounting the day together before Lucy had to return Oakham and the girls had to go off to Leeds to see their mum.

I had a lovely day with them all, although they do seem a lot quicker now than they did before. I can't wait for the spring and the summer. Seeing the sun today reminded of all the things we did last year and I can't wait to do them again. As soon as the ground is dry enough it back out to the parks and enjoying the countryside. 

No comments: