Friday, 9 December 2011

Mayhem and Fun

Today was a little different from the normal day that Lucy comes to stay, for Emily was having her birthday sleepover, also there isn't many pictures of the day since I forgot to charge the camera. So the post for today will look a bit different from normal.


The start of the day was bright and sunny, but rather chilly so I took both Emily and Catherine to school in the car before going into town to get some petrol. This had the added advantage of not arriving home until the school rush at the village school had finished and ensuring I got a parking space for a change. As soon as I got back I had a quick coffee before heading out again, this time to get Lucy from the city and bring her back to the countryside.

It was a lovely morning for a drive and the roads were almost clear, except for the occasional horse rider enjoying a crisp sunny winter morning. I soon arrived at Lucy Mummies house and with Lucy in the car we headed back home. Along the way she chatted telling me her news making the journey back seem a lot faster than it did on the way there, although I drive a lot slower. It was lovely to see her again. I really do miss her.

When we got home Lucy went straight to find George and let him out of his cage and gave him a cuddle before giving him some breakfast. Then she settle down with me and we played for a while in the family room, had a few cuddles before heading out to buy some bread and eggs for lunch. Lucy wanted boiled eggs and soldiers, which use to be my favourite when I was her age, and something I had every morning before I went to school.

The afternoon was much like the morning. We had fun together but this time we managed to do some cleaning at the same time. I just made the whole thing fun and it seemed to work a treat. Most of the house was clean and the floors were washed, but the kitchen need some attention and that is what we worked on. It was more to do with emptying the dishwashers and cleaning the cooker and the sides than anything else, as Emily had done the floor for with me a few days earilier. Lucy was great at putting things away from the dishwasher then putting the dirty knives and forks in the the holder to be washed.

Lucy couldn't wait to see Emily and Catherine and when it came time to pick them up she was over the moon. As we headed out to the school I explained that we would only be picking up Catherine, as Emily was coming back later with Millie for a sleep over with her friends. She didn't seem to mind too much given we were getting Catherine who got a massive hug before we all headed off to the Tescos to buy some party food. We even popped into the Co Op were we met her cousin, because I had forgotten the drinks as we rushed around the other supermarket in town.

When we got home we didn't have long to wait until Emily turned up with Millie followed by more of her friends. Unlike the Co Op, were Lucy was hiding from her cousin, she instantly felt at home with all of them. She just went wild. It was lovely to see her not being shy and just being herself. It also allowed me to get on with the cooking as they all entertained her and she entertained them back with her ways. There was quiet a bit of food to cook for some very hungry mouths.

Once the food was cooked, into the kitchen came the girls to get their hot dogs, one by one, before heading to the dinning room table to add more food to their plates. It wasn't long before the food was gone and, with happy tummies, the fun began with girls all over the place making more noise than a herd of elephants marching through a field of bubble wrap. Lucy was loving all the attention and the noise. Soon she was joining in the games and making new friends. I sure loves the fact they all find her cute.

All to soon, for everyone it became time for Lucy to go to bed, but she managed to extract stories from all that were wiling to read her one, including her two bigger sisters. With her all storied out, one tired little girl finally gave up to sleep. It was a long after her head hit the pillow after her kisses and cuddles that she feel into the land of dreams, and thankfully was deaf to the chatter of the girls in the family room below her.

As the night wore on there were all kinds of dramas. It was like a early teenage version of Eastenders at one point. Thankfully it all seemed to sort it self out in the end and laughter replaced the silence and the serious talk and this went on until to bedtime when it became time to quieten them down. It was clear they wouldn't go straight to sleep, that was to much to ask for, and as I finish this post the girls in the family room are quietly chatting. I'm not sure what time the will finally fall asleep, but by all accounts of other sleepovers they go to this is nothing unusual. I know one thing that Lucy has a plan and two people, Emily and Millie, are going to be first up in the morning!

I have really enjoyed today, there was the odd feeling and the nervousness that is always present when I pick up Lucy, and the stress I felt when all the people arrived for the sleepover, but that is all now pasted. What I ended up was a feeling it has been a great day. It is lovely to have all the girls together and seeing them have so much fun is wonderful. It's not over yet, there is still the morning to come, but the sleepover went so much better I expected. I can just tell Emily has had a great time with her friends, Lucy has charmed them all and Catherine, who I thought might have been left on the outside just became part of the group. All in it has been a lovely day.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like they had a lovely time.

Roy said...

They did and the morning after, which will be in the next post when I can find the energy to write it. I'm so tired at the moment. Worn out by everything.

Anonymous said...

Sleepovers can be tiring for parents.

Roy said...

It wasn't the sleepover. I just have a lot on my mind and things aren't getting better at the moment.

Anonymous said...

It will come good in the end. Things can only get better.

Roy said...

Will they. I do hope so.