Monday, 27 September 2010
Artist of the Week - Blue October
I was looking through my itunes collection for music to go to work to and I noticed I had 168 artists and over twelve and half days of music to chose from. The problem is, who to choose to listen to and rediscover when you are not in the mood for particular songs. Give that last week I mainly listened to one band, Linkin Park, I thought it would be a idea to do the same again. This time it is the turn of Blue October.
I came across Blue October about 18 months ago, around the time I started working again, and fell in love with some of their tracks that have become firm favourites of mine, however there are still a lot of tracks I still haven't really listened to and are there waiting to be discovered. They are don't often write the happiest of songs but it is the type of music which has a lot of meaning in all our lives in some kind of way.
Probably the first song I came across was a track called "Calling You" from their third studio album "History for Sale". I heard the acoustic version of the song on the radio and fell in love with it and although the meaning it had back then for me is now gone from my life I still like the song an awful lot. It is one of those songs that just sums something up about life and the feelings we all have.
It's interesting when reading up about the band before I started this blog entry that the name of the band comes from the mood of the band members when they formed back in 1995. This might go a long way to explaining the themes behind their music and the nature of the songs. Songs like "X-Amount of Words" deal with mental illness, something the lead singer is well aware of after his break up with his girlfriend years before the band formed. This aside, their music is more than that and touches a lot of what is at our core, the humanity and the feelings we all have.
Music is very personal to me and posting a selection of songs does concern me in that it can be misinterpreted. All I hope is you enjoy them as much as I do. I'm looking forward to hearing the tracks between the tracks I always listen to and getting to know the bands music a little more than I do now.
If this works as an idea then expect to see other bands of the moment in later blog posts, if not it will just disappear into cyberspace never to be seen again. Please feel free to leave comments, although they are monderatated anyone can post now.
Posted by
Roy
Labels:
Artist of the Week,
Music,
Video
No comments:
Post a Comment