Sunday, 19 September 2010

A Sunday at Home

After all the excitement of going out for the last two days it was nice today to know that it was a day to stay at home relax and have fun until it was time to take Lucy back to her mummies. From then on it became a rush fetch Emily and Catherine and do the shopping. Just another day this weekend where the timings were a bit tight, but this time towards the end of the day.

When I first looked out of the window the sun was shining but the ground was wet. It looked like it was going to be one of those days when the weather can't quite decide what course to take. For once it didn't really matter but it would have been nice if the sun had come out in the morning and dried all the outside toys off so Lucy could play out, but Lucy didn't seem to mind about the weather too much.

Lucy slept like a dream and got up with me around half past eight. She when came down the stairs smiling she was carrying her juice and arms full of toys that she wanted to play with. She had so many she even gave me some to help her get them down. I will never get bored of her smiling face in the morning. I wish we could all be like her and wake up looking forward to day and full of the joy of life. 

While I made a coffee and got her breakfast Lucy cuddled up in my chair with her toys to watch Milkshake on channel 5. When I came back in the living room I sat with her and every time the adverts were on she started telling me all the things she wants for her birthday. It is mad how we allow the advertisers to rope our children into a consumer society at such a young age. I know television companies need to make money but the number of advert breaks needs to looked closely when the programmes are so short. Maybe one day the Government might use a bit of the license fee to help the commercial TV companies fund this type programmes without adverts at all, but then again pigs might fly!

After breakfast Lucy came back to join me and we watched some more programmes together while having a nice morning cuddle. It wasn't until I had to get up to do some chores around the house that she went off to play in the family room. She played with all kinds of things including her trains, her little pet shop and she had loads and loads of fun  playing with Emily's old Leap pad. Every so often I was drawn into her games and loved every minute of it. 

While I was making lunch lucy helped me make some bread to dinner tonight. We are having home made soup and it just felt right have it with home made bread. She was really good at pouring in the ingredients and did it ever so carefully. The only thing she didn't put in was the flour which I thought might be a bit to messy for her at the moment. She loved watching the bread maker do it work though the little glass window, may be next time she will even get to have some.

With lunch eaten it was off outside to play for a bit. The little bit of sun we did get in the morning had dried the toys and although it looked like rain we did play cars for a bit. For some reason I had to be the roundabout as she peddled around and around, until she went inside for a bit until it was time to get her dressed in the most of clothes she came in Friday. Somehow, Lucy had managed to lose her socks from her mummies and so they had missed the wash. I found them just before we left in Emily and Catherine's room where she must have taken them off, but there wasn't time to wash and dry them so they will have to go back next time. 

All to soon my weekend with Lucy came to an end as I dropped her off in Oakham. I forgot to mention the sweets she had for Mary and herself, I was too preoccupied with the missing socks. The whole drop off felt rushed for some reason. 

It was at this point that the race against the clock started to get everything done. First I had to go to the supermarket to pick up the ingredients for tonight dinner, a Beef and Barley soup to go with the bread Lucy had helped make, and then it was off out to get Emily and Catherine from where I dropped them off on Saturday morning. Unfortunately they were a little late due to the increased traffic caused by the students returning to University this weekend, but that did allow me a little rest and a bite to eat before we drove back home. With next weekend arranged and a quick chat about the girls and the wedding with their Mum it was off on the road again. Abigail is doing really well these days she even dyed Catherine's hair again for the wedding, she wanted darker hair for a change.

When we got home it was straight on with the cooking. The soup was a great idea for a autumn evening but I should have double checked the recipe, as it took an extra 30 minutes long to cook than I first thought. Thankfully the girl's didn't seem to bothered and just got on with there homework for school tomorrow, that because of the wedding they didn't get the chance over the weekend. When the soup was ready it turned out to be rather good and now I have a basic stock for beef based soups I can start experimenting and make new soups of my own to go with our home made bread. That should give us some new options for cold days when a nice warming lunch is required that is nice and healthy. It is definitely something I will cook again.

With time getting on it was soon time for Emily and Catherine to go to bed. It's been a long weekend for them both and they will need all the rest they can get to catch up on their sleep in the coming few days, so a few earlier nights will do them good.

It's nice to have Emily and Catherine back and I'm sure what they have told me they had a great time and I hope little Lucy sleeps well tonight. I love them all dearly.

No comments: