Friday, 17 September 2010

A Sunny Autumn Friday

When I woke up this morning a noticed what date it was I noticed it would have been my Mum's birthday today. I still miss her so much as I do the all other people special people in my life that mean or have meant so much to me. It makes you realise how important it is to care about the ones you love and cherish every moment you have with them, however short. Caring about the people we love is the most important thing we do in life. Thankfully nobody can stop us loving the people we do in our lives.

The day was already lovely when the Emily and Catherine got up for school. The sun was shining and the temperature was rising. It was all set to be a fine autumn day. As normal girls made their own packed lunches and soon I was driving Emily to school in Oakham and on my return I made sure Catherine got off school in time. The only different today, from a normal morning, was that Emily took some extra clothes to school. She is staying overnight with a friend and having a her first sleep over since she change school.

When I picked up Lucy I dropped off the rest of her mummies books from our home. Unfortunately one of the boxes broke as I was walking down the walk but thankfully I managed to save the books before they fell on the ground. I did feel bad about the box breaking but the books were just to heavy for the plastic box. Picking up Lucy was rather pleasant today, first I heard Lucy behind the door before it was opened and then I managed to help getting the books inside the house. Being friendly again was nice and it is good for Lucy to see us like that. I hope one day we will be able talk again. It was great to see Lucy knowing I have her for two nights again. I have been looking forward to it all week.


When we got home Lucy showed me all the things she brought with her from her mummies. She is so proud of her new yellow car. It was lovely to see and hear her glowworm again. I can still remember her as a baby listening to her glowworm as she feel asleep. It was nice to think back to those times when she was smaller. Catherine said later it was one of her first birthday present from her mummy and me as far as she can remember. I'm not sure who gave what but I still need to give Lucy a picture of me for her talking photo frame. For most of the morning we just played and had cuddles except for the occasional sitting on the potty time. Which reminds me I really should get a update at how she is doing at her mummies with the potty, but I don't like to bother her.

For lunch Lucy had some Heniz alphabet pasta shapes before we headed out for the afternoon to make the most of the sunshine all rapped up against the cool breeze. Today we headed to Stamford although we knew have much time there as we had to get back for Catherine, but we were determined to make the best use of it.


Taking some old bread with us we head first for the river to feed the ducks. Lucy had a lovely time feeding them. She was laughing and giggling away as she watched the ducks chasing and fighting over the bread she dropped. She even feed a few pigeons who came to see what was on offer. Some of the ducks there are so tame that one family were feeding them off their hands. Lucy was most disappointed when she ran out of bread, but with the promise of the park next she was soon back in the car seat with a ice cream. We will have to take more bread next time so we can stay longer.

We went next Stamford recreation ground near the police station. It is great there for children of all ages as I have said before. The first thing she went on was the single person roundabout. She ran to it as soon as she got through the gate to make sure that nobody else could get it. After while she moved on to the big slide. She can't get up there herself but with a big of help she can manage it. She just loves it and she is so careful crossing the bridge and watching where she put her feet. 


Today was odd in that a little girl a little bit younger than Lucy got stuck at the top of the slide and wouldn't come down. Lucy was waiting behind her and we tried to get Lucy to show the other little girl how to do it but she wouldn't move out the way to let Lucy down. The little girls mother was heavily pregnant and couldn't help her down, so in the end I went up the slide to rescue the her by getting her to slide down with me as I held her hands and slid down backwards. 

After the rescue and playing shops Lucy went on the large swing that Emily and Catherine like so much. Although she didn't want to go high she did smile all the time she was on it and had fun. Before we left she went back to the smaller children's area to play there and on the way out she pushed me around the ring roundabout laughing every time my weight made me speed down towards it's lowest point. We had a great time. 


Before we left Stamford we popped to the Waitrose to get a few things in for dinner. I must say I really like Waitrose and if it wasn't for the cost of the food there and it being so far away I would use it all the time. It is one of my favorite supermarkets. The food quality is so good compared the other supermarkets.

When we got home Catherine was waiting in the garden for us. Lucy was so pleased to see her and beamed from ear and sat down next to her and gave her a cuddle. They both played in the garden for a while before coming inside when the sun went in which put the end to the idea of an after school trip to Langham park, as with the sun gone the air temperature dropped quite a bit. Indoors they watch a DVD on the sofa after they made some cakes with Lucy occasionally getting up to play on her own with her toys. Before long dinner was ready and they both sat down and chatted away together as they ate.

After dinner Catherine and Lucy played together. First they played dressing up and then they went bouncing on the bed for a bit before coming downstairs to play. I think they both enjoyed having some exclusive time together without Emily. I always think with children it works better with even numbers of children rather than odd when someone often gets left out. Talking about children, if she can be called that any more, I do hope Emily is having a nice time. When we phoned her to find out where to pick her up in the morning she said she was busy so I guess that means she is having fun.

Soon it was time for Lucy to go to bed. With Emily being away Catherine helped me with in the bath. Seeing Lucy was having so much fun Catherine put her swimming costume on and got in the bath with her. After we washed her hair and I dried her off Catherine got changed to read her some stories. Finally I read her last story of the night and gave her all her usual hug and kisses from the important people that are close to her. Soon after she was asleep and she looked so lovely and restful. 

Once Lucy was in bed Catherine went off to play on the computers and to catch up on the television she has missed. While she was at school today she went on a trip to RAF Cottesmore for their family day and just before bed she was telling me all about it. It sounded like she had a great time and really enjoyed the air display. I must say i wish I could have gone and seen the base before it closes in a few years time.

Last thing for today, without the books in the downstairs toilet there are big gaps on the shelves. Although the gaps will soon be filled again from the other bookshelves in the house it does look strange without them. They have been there for so long that you know everyone and there existence links to memories of the past just like the small reminders of my Mum which turn up now and again in unsorted boxes. 

No comments: