Monday, 26 December 2011

Boxing Day

The day after Christmas always seems quiet. It was that way when I was a child and it still seems to be the same as an adult. I just guess after the excitement of the day before it always makes it seems a bit dull. It is just one of those things that doesn't change no matter what you do on the day or what age you are.


What was nice this morning was to wake up to be greeted by Lucy on the landing. She must have heard me get up and it wasn't long until she was passing me all her stuff to take downstairs. It wasn't long after that, I made coffee and juice for Lucy and soon she was sitting on my lap having a cuddle as we woke up. I had a lovely hour or more with her on my own before Catherine joined us. It was a nice and we played with her fishing game and her other new toys. It was a fine way to start the day. Once Catherine was with us Lucy went off to play with her before she eventually going up to get Emily out of bed to join them. She did this in her usual style by bouncing on her bed until Emily gave in and got up. Then they all played until lunch time in the family room.

Lunch was a simple affair. We had sandwiches and sausage rolls and for the very hungry their were a selection of crisps to chose from. The plan, was to have the main meal in the evening, and that was the plan we were following. I didn't want to spend the morning cooking like I had the day before. Originally we were going to make fresh bread for the sandwiches, but in the end we had enough bread from the day before.

The afternoon was spent playing games between watching television and some computer time for the older girls. The games Lucy got for Christmas were a big hit with everyone and lots of laughter could be heard from the family room with the occasional shouts of "cheat". However, the games were played in good heart and they were all cheating as much as each other. I wasn't in the mood for joining in, but it was pleasant to know that they were still having fun and there were no shouts of "I'm bored".

For dinner we had another roast. This time it was a roast chicken with herbs, roast potatoes, sessional vegetables with stuffing and sausages wrapped in bacon. It was good to sit down with everyone and it what turned out to be a lovely meal. I wasn't hungry but the chicken I did eat it was moist and succulent and with full tummies the girls went off to play.

The evening was much like the afternoon, but with a little more of watching films on the television than playing games. This took them nicely up Lucy's bedtime and like a dream Lucy went up to bed, after stories., kisses and cuddles she fell asleep. This left Emily and Catherine some time before they joined her in the land of nod to watch some of their programmes. With the girls all in bed quiet descended over the house.

Has it been a good day?, well the answer to that is a little complicated. The girls  had a good day, which is the main thing, but for me I just felt tired, down and moody. I hadn't slept well at all the night before. It wasn't how I wanted to feel, just how it was. I just hope I can enjoy the last day Lucy is here more than I did today. It will be the last time the girls are together during the holiday and I want it to be special. Lucy goes back to her mummy's tomorrow and then Emily and Catherine are off to their mums the following day. All I know is Christmas, so far, seemed to start off so well, but for me it hasn't been good and I need to turn it around tomorrow.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep going and you will get there

Roy said...

It seems a long hard road at the moment.

Anonymous said...

Just because a road seems long it doesn't mean it isn't worth taking.

Annie said...

Sounds like things aren't good again. Keep faith and things will get better.

Roy said...

I know they will, just doesn't always seem like it. I know I will get past all the obstacles one day. It all a question of time.