Saturday, 24 December 2011

The Day Before Christmas

Today was the day I have been looking forward too. The day when Lucy comes and the real start of the Christmas Holidays with all my girls here. I wish it could be like this every year for this is what Christmas is all about. It something I just love and this year it is going to be a reality. It is the way things are meant to be at this time of year.


After another restless night, and after I eventually fell into a deep sleep just before the alarm went off, getting up was the last thing my body wanted to do. Thankfully the mind is stronger and after a coffee I headed out to pick up my little Lucy from her mummy's. It was lovely to see her her again. I can't say how much I look forward to being able to spend time with her. It just makes the family feel more complete.

When we got home, and after popping to Melton pick up some lunch, Lucy instantly remembered her advent calendar. So after lunch she had nearly two weeks of little windows to open, which occupied Lucy and Catherine for a little while before they went off to play. Emily had gone Christmas shopping in the morning with her friends and she joined us in the middle of the afternoon with an armful of presents from her friends. She joined in the fun after put her presents under the tree, the first but not the last to appear there. It seemed a long afternoon, which Catherine remarked on. I guess it is that feeling of waiting for the big event, Christmas Day, that makes the day feel longer than it is. 

Dinner was simple but nice. With all the cooking to be done tomorrow I wasn't in the mood to cook anything lavish for dinner, and in any case I was tired from the lack of sleep the night before. All the same everyone was hungry and they seemed to enjoy it and I love having everyone around the table again. 

After dinner we all played and used up the time to until bedtime. Lucy went first and after her kisses and special cuddles she drifted off to sleep. I thought we might have a problem getting her off tonight and keeping her asleep. It seems that she had another bad cold that has affected her breathing a bit and then there is all the excitement of the the day to come. In the end she seemed to be sleeping like a dream when I went to bed. In fact it was Emily that had the problem getting sleep. She was the most excited.

I just hope that everyone has a lovely day tomorrow and nothing comes along to mess anything up. Christmas comes but once a year, and in my case every other year, and I want it to special all day and night long. It a special time that is full of love and joy and that is the way I want it to be. A great happy day.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So pleased you had your family around you this year.

Roy said...

It is what Christmas is about and the way it should be. When I decided to have children I never thought it would end up like this, especially for little Lucy.

Anonymous said...

I thought it would have worked for you two. Anyone that knew you both would have thought the same. It must be hard for everyone.