Tuesday, 17 January 2012

Sky ruins Saturdays

Anyone that knows me will know that for years I have been a Southend United supporter. I follow the team in what ways I can, although I live miles away from the ground and have for many years. One of the things that is exciting after the whistle has blown is looking at the table to see where your side ends up. Those minutes trying to find out if you have gone top or you just failed to make it because some other team has pipped you to the post, are part of the magic that is the results.


The problem with what Sky are doing to the football is they are spoiling the fun of Saturday at five when the results are read out on the radio or shown on the television. By having games on Saturday evenings, Sundays and Monday evenings means that seeing the league tables on Saturdays for the higher divisions means nothing and in theory can give the teams still play an unfair advantage since they know the results of the games played earlier. 

I tend to agree with the point that the manger of Arsenal, Arsène Wenger, made that the television companies are having to much of a say in the fixture lists. He is right that it is unfair on the clubs and like him I can see that some clubs might be influencing the television companies themselves. It is the league that should be dictating the fixtures and the television companies shouldn't be allowed to change them. As it with the way the demand the games to be play they have ruined Saturday results show.

1 comment:

Ian said...

Couldn't agree more.