Friday, 20 January 2012
Wet Friday
It has been one of those wet but mild days you sometimes get in winter. Rather gloomy and not the sort of day to get out about, the thing I want to do so much. I need a change of scene and to get out with the girls. I really didn't want to be stuck in the house, but the going to soft play area's isn't a possibility until there is more money to spare. All the same we ended having a good day, just the two of us together.
The morning started with Emily and Catherine getting ready for school and me getting ready to go to the city to pick up Lucy. Soon we all left the house. Picking up Lucy was much as I expected. Although I was pleased to see her really I couldn't get the same level of enthusiasm as use too. It all felt rather flat and gloomy as did the trip back to the countryside. Driving in the rain and being late didn't help and I don't like being late. As we drove Lucy told me her news.
When we got back we headed off to the supermarket to get some food for the day. There was nothing in for lunch or dinner and we needed some essential supplies, and it save petrol. Lucy had fun in the trolly in the supermarket placing things around her and when it came time to pay she unloaded the trolly onto the checkout. Of course she didn't fail to make the checkout girl smile and then went all shy.
When got home the first thing Lucy did was see George and let him out his cage. He was so pleased to see her it was hard to get him to go outside for the loo. While George was out we both cleaned up the family room a bit so Lucy could play. It didn't take long and soon she was happily playing while I got on with cooking some pouched eggs and toast.
Lucy had picked the eggs for lunch. I had somehow forgotten how much she liked them. It was ages since I had last cooked her eggs on toast. I asked how many she wanted and she said two, so I cooked two expecting her just to eat one. We ate at the table together and when we were finished both her eggs had gone and nearly all of her toast. She was even after my eggs. Somehow I think we will be having eggs on toast again. Maybe I should have bought the box of fifteen eggs after all.
In the afternoon we played every game Lucy could think of. They ranged from cleaning games, cooking games, boardgames and doctors. If she found something that attached her imagination she seemed to want to play it. It is really a lovely age. Children's minds are so active and there ability to learn quickly and think up new idea's is amazing at Lucy's age. I remember the same thing being true of both Emily and Catherine.
When it got time to pick up Emily and Catherine from school we headed out. I knew Emily was having a sleepover, but I wasn't sure what Catherine was planning for the evening. There was talk of a sleep over for her too but she wasn't too sure what was happening in the morning. In any case it would mean that Lucy at least got a hug from both her sisters. As it turned out Catherine sleep over went ahead and after hugs from both her sisters we popped to the CoOp where she saw her cousin before heading home again. Acting all shy again.
Once home we both got on with playing, until a tired Lucy settled down to watch a film. This allowed me get on with cooking our dinner without interruptions. She was quite happy under a blanket in the family room watch Garfield the cat and all his adventures. It wasn't her first choice of DVD but she really did enjoy it all the same. Saying that, she did find Charlie and the Chocolate Factory which I feel the older girls will be find themselves watching tomorrow. She loves the film and thankfully so does everyone else.
After dinner and some more play the inevitable happened it was time for Lucy to go to bad. I love the way she descried our time as Lucy and Daddy time. It warmed my heart, to say the least. I really had enjoyed just having her to myself. After her kisses and cuddles from those she loves she fell asleep and I was left on my own to reflect on the day. I can say how much I love having her here. Like I said in yesterdays post you miss the people you love.
The day has been good since I got Lucy home when the fun began. I really have enjoyed her Daddy time. I wish there was more of it, but indications are that is not going to happen anytime soon. She seems to change so fast between visits that I feel I am missing out on so much of her life. There isn't anything I can do to change this anymore. I have tried my best to communicate my feelings and will continue to do so. You might ask why I do this and the answer is simple when you believe in something and feel strongly about things you have to carry on, it is only the cowards that give up when times get tough. I might not get me anywhere, but at least I can say I have tried, even if I never succeed.
Thankfully other than the pick up and the drive to the city I can say it has been good one. Something I needed, although I wish we could have got out to have some fun. I feel like I'm waiting for something magical to happen that brings back special feeling that we all crave. The one we search for and share, that makes us feel at one of the world and those we care for.