Thursday, 9 December 2010

Congratulations Corrie

Well how can you have not noticed that Coronation Street unless you don't have a TV and haven't read a newspaper of a magazine for the last 50 years. Today marks the 50th birthday of the longest running soap on British TV, in fact on the 17th September this year it became the world's longest running TV soap opera currently in production. Quite some feat for a program that The Daily Mirror claimed would only last 3 weeks and even some people inside Granada Television, that  commissioned programme, doubted the show would last as long as the planned 13 episodes. Last it did and it has become part of British culture.


I have never the show watched like many do everyday, week after week, but then I have some issues about about soaps and how they affect the life by creating a make believe community in which we can live, when in days gone by those communities would have been the ones we live in with the people around us. Another thing is I think they make people seek drama in their own lives. I know people that live their lives like a soap with the same degree of emotion and drama. It's unreal, but I can understand the attraction, but that aside it still has affected my life, like it has of everyone that has heard the theme tune. There is something warm and comforting about it that has to do with home and feelings of safety which I think comes from my childhood. I wish the show well and I hope it carries on going for another 50 years. It is well written and well acted and it deserves it success. It is gives many people want in life, an escape from their real lives and it only becomes a problem when people base their lives on what they see.

No comments: