Wednesday, 1 December 2010
University Fees
For years I have voted for the Liberal Democrats ever since I heard David Steel in an open debate with students in Brighton University. What he said that day made my mind up to which political party I would support for the coming years and I thought for the rest of my life. That is until now with one stroke I am without a party to support. The one thing I believe is free education for all and that nobody should refused education because they don't have the money to pay. I see the current Governments position on University fees completely in opposition to my own. The one party that has the power to change things are the Liberal Democrats who until they did the biggest political U-Tune in recent history supported free University Education.
In the latest protest a letter was delivered to Liberal Democrat headquarters in Westminster by the National Campaign Against the Cuts, which announced further demonstrations which said "No amount of twisted reasoning from either you or [Business Secretary] Vince Cable can hide what everyone can see: you have lied to us." Well that is so true the Liberal Democrats have lied to us and as a long time voter of the party it is going to take a lot to win my vote back. It would serve them right if at the next election they were punished by the voters for their actions. They have sold their ideals for power and can't be trusted to follow through there promises.
What this policy is doing is not letting the best students go to Universities but the ones with the richest parents. It is a real step backwards as far as education goes in the UK. Families of poorer students won't go to university and I know this from what my own students have said at work. I tell them what they will be missing out on but the idea of owing money and having to pay it off is a real turn off for students whose families already have deep financial problems. Shame on every MP that supports this policy especially those who are Liberal Democrats.
I never thought I would say this but I will think twice before Liberal Democrats at the next election. This sort of policy has been at the core of their polices and to do what they have done is almost unforgivable. They have sold their ideals for power something I never thought they would do.
Posted by
Roy
Labels:
Politics

No comments:
Post a Comment