Thursday, 23 December 2010

Parted for a While

When I got up the the snow was still there in it full glory in the morning half light. It really does look beautiful and if I didn't have to drive today I it would be simply lovely, but I do have to drive Emily and Catherine to Leeds and Lucy back to her Mummies in Oakham. I going to miss them all.


It must have been the first time I have ever had to wake Lucy. She is normally the one that wakes everyone else in the morning, but today I was first up. I went into her room and gently told her it was time to wake up and she gently stretched and opened her eyes before smiling back at me. I got her dressed as soon as she got out of bed and she took her blanket downstairs and snuggled on the sofa after telling Emily and Catherine it was time to get up too. Catherine was the first to appear and joined on the sofa to be followed some minutes layer by Emily. 


It wasn't long before the girls where having breakfast and the rush was on. The first two to drop off were Emily and Catherine at the services some 50 miles up the A1. With the roads icy and the snow it wasn't going to be the nicest of drives. As it turned out as we got further North the snow was nowhere to be seen and the gritters were out in force making the drive a lot easier. As always it was a good drop off and plans were made and cuddles given and cuddles promised for while they are away. Lucy even got to meet William, Emily and Catherine's bother, who is turning out to be a fine young man. He is a lovely person and just as sweet as when I knew as a small boy. I'll always have a soft spot for him because like Lucy's sister Mary we were so close at one time. He even use to come when his mum was in hospital and stay the weekend with the girls. Soon Lucy and myself were heading back to Rutland with a McDonalds breakfast roll to eat to keep us warm.


When we got back there was just Lucy left and she had just another couple of hours with us. She was meant to be leaving around midday but as it turned out it was mid afternoon. I know with the weather the way it is flights can be delayed and I had factored that in, but I guess I wasn't expecting the problems her mummy had with the electric's in her house, but that didn't matter at all. It just meant I got to see her a bit longer and we had some extra fun before she left. All to soon I got a text saying she could go back to Oakham and off we trotted chatting away with a small bag of presents and all her things to say our final good bye until we meet again. I still find it hard being parted from one so small and I will for years to come. I love her and her sisters so much that there aren't worlds I can find to describe the depth of feeling. I know men are meant to be hard but I one of the ones that as a big heart and lots of love to give.


Anyway, with beds empty and the children gone the house fell silent until they all return again to make the house come alive agin on New Years Eve. It's a strange place without them when your use to all the noise and the fun that can go with it. It is something that get use to and even when you wish it would stop, and when it does you just find yourself missing it. 

I know that Emily and Catherine mum will make sure they get the cuddles I asked her to give them I just hope Lucy's mum will do the same. I feel bad for leaving them so long but I just want them to know I love them. I guess that is because of what happened to me.  It is funny how you can give and give and when you ask a favour back you get no joy. All I can assume as the answer is positive and for if it is not that would make me sad when I think it is Christmas and I do as much as I can and I won't give up on doing that. Lack of communication is horrid thing and it's how misunderstanding can easily occur. I just don't understand what is wrong with talking given you don't have to take on anyones feeling but your own.

No comments: