Wednesday, 11 August 2010
Day trip to Hunstanton
One of the disadvantages of Rutland is it is so far from the sea. The closest place I could think of Hunstanton in Norfolk nearly 80 miles away. It is at the mouth of the wash and has lovely sandy beaches and all the thing you would expect of a seaside resort. It is rather cheap and tacky, like lots of English seaside towns but that if half of the charm.
It has fun fairs, an ice rink, ponies on the beach, amusement arcades, a sea life rescue centre and one of the most imaginative crazy golf courses I have seen. It's downside is parking which is rather expensive and the town is not very big, although it does have some really good fish and chip shops. We had dinner at Supafry opposite St. Edmund's church and the chips were lovely, although we did have to wait in a queue, but it was worth it.
If you are in the area you should also look at going to some of the other beaches along the way. There is a lovely sand beach at Heacham and at Snettisham. They are well worth a visit if you want to get away from the hustle and bustle of Hunstantion.
I guess, although I can't afford a holiday, not really knowing the area where I live has one advantage, there are loads of places to discover.
No comments:
Post a Comment