Saturday, 21 August 2010

Spacemen before Bed

Another grey start to the day. I'm starting to wonder if we will ever see the sun again in the morning before the autumn is upon us. With the weather the way it was the it today the only thing was to play inside and and make sure we made the most of the sunny spells to get out into the garden.

Something unusual happened when I picked up Lucy, her Grandmother, Bubba, arrived at the same time, she was picking something up. It was the first time I had seen her for ages and I wish I had had the Emily and Catherine with me. They both would have loved to see her. They both have a soft spot for her and love her loads. As for me, it was nice to see her too, especially with Lucy and how they both interact. I have always liked her from the first time I met her. It was nice to talk to her even if it was only for a few minutes. On the way home we chatted about Bubba and I can tell how much Lucy loves her too.


When we got home Lucy there was the customary welcome for Emily, Catherine and George before she played shops with me. We took it in turns being shop keeper and shopper. It was great fun playing with her and I even manage to take a little video of it which I later posted on my Facebook page. During the morning there were lots of hugs for George and me, then there was playing on the Xbox 360 with Emily and finally plate decorating with Catherine on the paper plates. Lucy loves drawing just as much as Catherine does.

Before lunch we made a quick trip to the supermarket to pick up supplies for the weekend and more importantly more ice lollies for the afternoon. All the ones from yesterday had been consumed, except for the yellow ones that always get left to last. We got two boxes but I'm not sure they will last for long. Lucy can consume them at an alarming rate just as can when she is eating bananas and apples. 


After lunch a ham and tomato rolls the girls got down to playing again. With Lucy getting the train set out to play with and Catharine going on the computer to update her Facebook and chat with her friends, while Emliy had gone round to Charlie's and George's house to play on the Xbox 360 with them both. Later in the afternoon, when Emily returned and I gave them all some bubbles to blow and play with in the family room. Catherine and Lucy played beautifully together for most of the afternoon.

Before Dinner Catherine headed out with Lucy to take George for a walk. I'm not sure where they went but they were gone for half an hour. Catherine loves taking George on a walk even if it is on her own. It gives her some space from Emily which she needs sometimes.


For Dinner we all sat down to honey glazed gammon and fresh vegetables. The honey glazed gammon turned out to be popular, even with Catherine who has been rather picky of late.

What was wonderful about the time just before Lucy's bedtime was the space game she started playing. The kitchen became a space ship and the garden space. She was the commander of the ship and she was taking us on rides to visit space. It was all very amusing and well as being an insight in how imaginative someone so small can be. 

It was all too soon for Lucy to go to bed and off up the stairs she went for a space bath. She had a great time in the bath and add some more toys to her bathroom fun. One of which she pretended was a rocket. Finally with the bath over and hair washed it was bath time, and to carry on the space theme I read her Q Pootle 5 which she loves. Lucy is at the monsters under the bed stage and was talking about the monsters at her mummies before she went to sleep. I took the same approach as I took with Catherine and explained that people and have cats and dogs do so to scare the monsters away. It seemed to reassure her combined with a quick check under the bed. So finally with kisses and cuddles for all the people she loves she went start off to sleep hugging Ollie and her juice bottle. I love peeping on her before I go to bed. It's lovely.


Tonight was the start of the new X-Factor session, something I never watched properly until I was introduced to it back in 2007. Now Catherine loves it and I still enjoy it too. It use to be a whole family event every saturday night, now it is just the two of us that watch it all. I'm sure Lucy would love it too, but it is just that to late for her. I hope it is a good year. I think sharing television programmes is important. Given I don't really watch soaps, like Emily and Catherine, this gives us an entertainment bond which is always good. Not sure what to make of the first show there was nobody that really made me go they have the X-Factor, whatever that is. 

Before bed the Emily and Catherine cleaned up the mess left by Lucy, there wasn't time to get Lucy to help tonight, before they headed off for the land of nod. I know they have had a great day despite the weather.

Lets hope the weather is better Monday and we finally make it out to the country parks in Northamptonshire. As for tomorrow we will try and make it to the play area's around Rutland water in the morning, fingers crossed.

No comments: