Monday, 30 August 2010

South Wales

With all the girls gone for the bank holiday weekend it was a chance to get away from it all, have some fun and relax surrounded by some of the most beautiful scenery in the country. Just what I need before I go back to the grind or work and a fitting way to end the summer.

We set off on Saturday for South Wales after dropping Emily and Catherine off to see there mum in Leeds. It a long but lovely drive once you get down the M5 and start to approach and enter Wales. The route we took went down the Head of the Valleys Road (A465) that skirts the lovely Brecon Beacon National Park which makes for a lovely visual feast of rolling hillsides and beautiful valleys. What I find funny is seeing the road sign's turn into Welsh and English. After a while you start reading both the languages on the signs with equal ease. It amazing how quickly the brian can become accustomed to reading basic Welsh. 


I stayed near to the Gower Peninsula with it's wonderful and varied landscapes which was designated an area outstanding natural beauty. The peninsula is surrounded by the Bristol sea and the Atlantic Ocean. It has lovely beaches, valleys, hills, cliff tops, caves, sand dunes, castles, medieval churches and some of the richest wildlife habitats to be found anywhere in the country. It really does have some of the most magnificent scenery I have seen in a an awful long time. It is easy to see why many people come to visit it again and again, there is just so much to do and see in the area.

We spent our time going out and taking in the some of the lovely sights. It was great to be able just to do all those things you can't do with children especially in the evening when you can just go out and do what you like without worrying about bedtimes. It was lovely to get away from Rutland and forget all about everything for a few nights. I just wish I had the opportunity to have done it before. 

Hopefully next year summer I can arrange things better and take in some live music, theatre and alike. It has been too long since I have done anything like that, mainly because I have been to busy with the family to take time for myself. However, although it has been great I still can't wait to have a family holiday with Emily, Catherine and little Lucy and I hope I can make it happen sooner rather than a lot latter between some fun for myself as well. 

No comments: