Friday, 27 April 2012

The British Weather

It has been cold wet grey and yucky for the last week and it is set to be the same for the most of the weekend and most of next week. It really seems unseasonal and it feel more like late November than late April. Some would say it typical of the British Weather but I can remember weather like this at this time of year for an age, but then I use to come from one of the driest parts of the country.


Given that a large part of England is short of water you would have thought she wet weather would be a good thing, but at this time of year the rain doesn't help solve the water shortage the country is facing. The fact is it is the wrong time of the year and although some of the water makes it to the reservoirs most of just evaporates or used my the growing plants. 

During the week I popped by Rutland Water, where I was lucky enough to see an Osprey, and you can see how low the water there is. Reports are that the water level is fifteen percent lower than it normally would be this time of year and some of the nearby reservoirs are even lower than that. 

Although I don't mind the rain too much the cold is a bit of a downer for the time of year. I'd rather have it a little warmer, so let us hope after the wet spell has finished we have some nice sunshine when May comes along for a bit to make up for it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hope you had a good weekend.