Sunday, 1 April 2012

The Sunshine Returns

The promise of the clear skies was fulfilled and the sunshine returned to bless us with a lovely sunny Sunday. The blue skies without a cloud were just what I wanted to see when I opened the curtains in the morning. I got my wish when the sunlight streamed in. So much better than the grey skies of yesterday.


Things returned to normal today with Lucy waking up first, I could hear her playing in her room as I got up and as soon as she heard me she joined me downstairs. While I made us a drink Lucy went off to find Catherine and soon both of them were with me as they woke up and we watched television. The only one missing was Emily, who, in typical teenager mode, was refusing to get out of bed this side of noon. 

When Lucy and Catherien had woken up and had breakfast they both moved into the family room to play and watch television together. There was more of the former going on than the later, even though I had put the Simpson Movie on the television for both of them to watch as requested. I think it was more a background thing than anything. As the morning went on there was still no sign of Emily, in fact every attempt by Lucy to get her up failed.


About mid morning we headed out to Melton Mowbray to do a little bit of shopping and pop to the supermarket. We still needed a nice piece of pork from the supermarket for our Sunday dinner. It was nice to be out and about in the morning sun and thankfully we had more luck in getting what we needed at the supermarket. As always it was a joy shopping with Lucy, she is so helpful and still makes the people that she meets smile.

When we got home I got on with making some bread rolls for lunch. One of the things you can get at Tescos in Melton Mowbray that you can't get in Oakham is fresh soft bread rolls. We had them with ham and they were simply yummy. The bread was so soft and tasted lovely. After lunch and drinks the girls played while the lunch went down and then it was time to get out into the sunshine. Emily and Catherine went their respective friends and I headed out with Lucy.



The first port of call was to Northfield Farm to see the animals there. Lucy loves it there and there is always something to see. Last time we were their we saw some really young piglets and when we went back today it was amazing to see how large they had grown in such a short time. There were also some more piglets who were all snuggled up together in another pen to keep warm, the black ones were quite small. Lucy had great fun feeding one of the rabbits some cabbage before she went to find the toys they have there for children to play with.

After we finished at the farm we headed into Oakham to the park there to enjoy the rest of the afternoon. Lucy had taken her scooter and soon she was zooming around the playground. This carried on until she got tired of going round and round and decided that her scooter needed tuning up and made up a game were we fixed her scooter. After a bit she decided to try the stepping stools on her own and made it the way to the highest one, it was the longest step that stopped her and in the end she called me to help. Once she got on the climbing frame she need hardly any encouragement to cross from one platform to the next using the cargo net. I was amazed she had picked it all up so quickly. Finally before heading back home she had a go on the swings, insisting see could do it all on her own. 


As we arrived back the church bells started ringing for the Sunday service. It is a lovely sound and for some reason especially so when the sun is shining and the weather fair. As we got in I got straight on with cooking dinner while Lucy went off to play with whoever she could find to play with. At one point she was playing with Catherine and then when you turned round you find her playing with Emily. Then main thing was they were all having a grand time and that was helping me get the dinner cooked without worrying if she would burn herself if she came in the kitchen.

Dinner turned out to be lovely, and it was nice having Emily helping in the kitchen at the end. It made life that little bit easier. The pork turned out to be lovely and the skin was simply divine. I have always loved cooking and with so many hungry months to feed it is a good thing. Once again Lucy did really well and there was hardly anything left on the other two girls plates as well. It was just a shame that they had eaten all the puddings earlier in the day, but I think they would have been too full to eat them if there had have been any.


After dinner the girls went back to playing together, until Lucy decided to disappear with Emily to her bedroom. I'm not sure what the two of them were doing but they were both rather quiet. Lucy must have been having a good time otherwise I sure she would have come down. In the end I had to go up and tell Lucy it was time for bed, and after putting on her PJ's everyone read her a story. Finally I gave Lucy her kisses and cuddles and she feel to sleep. With Lucy in bed everyone gravitated to the living room were we all watched television together before Emily and Catherine headed to bed.

It was just lovely that the sun came out for us today, and having Lucy the extra nights meant that the rush was going to mess up the day. We really went for making the most it and had a grand time in the fresh spring air. It might not have been as warm as it was earlier in the week but it didn't matter one bit. Roll on tomorrow and another day with all the girls.

No comments: