Wednesday, 10 August 2011
The Roits
If you live in the United Kingdom you can't have missed all the news about the riots and looting that has been occurring here. All starting in London it has spread across the country affecting more and more cities. It just makes me glad I live in a rural area and we don't have to witness the terrible destruction and it's after effects in the area we live. At the same time I feel for all the innocent people in the cities who sit wondering if their area of the city will be subjected to violence and looting. After all Lucy lives in Leicester and I have relatives there too so I have been watching that city closely in the news as well as Nottingham were I have friends. It really feels like the cities aren't the safest of places to be at the moment.
As has happened in the past, trouble has brewed up when the economic climate is grim. It allows extremist to organise the disenfranchised youth in to a mob that then causes havoc to society. The question in who is to blame is a complex one and like many things in life anything but black and white. For example, while Governments are quick to blame others they hardly look at there own role in all this but instead look at the roles of other in handling the riots and those that organised them, but the question they fail to ask is why did they happen.
Clearly what is happening in the country at the moment can't but help make it easy for extremists to gain the support of the youth who feel left out in the cold. What needs to happen once this is all this is over is a wide ranging public enquiry that looks at the whole picture and comes up recommendations to solve tackle the cause of the unrest. The reality is however that we have a Conservative lead Government who reaction will be track down the criminals at all costs and lock them away and throw away the key without asking the fundamental questions as to what caused the riots in the first place.
If we are to avoid such riots happening again, then we need to understand the reasons behind what happened. Yes, look the people up that took part in the riots, that is only right but what I fear is that by being heavy handed as this Government will be they will create more people who feel disenfranchised by modern society. We need answers and well as solutions. I want a safe society where my children grow up feeling safe where ever they are.
Posted by
Roy

No comments:
Post a Comment