Saturday, 13 August 2011

Bread making and more

Well the day started of grey again and my neck was still aching. It wasn't what I wanted but then nothing is perfect. I just had to get on with the day the best way I could and make sure everyone had fun.


The morning started with the sound of Lucy little voice calling my name. It is a  lovely way to start the day and better than any alarm clock. She needed to go to the toilet so off I headed to sort it out for her before we both headed downstairs to watch some television while we both woke up. We sat together, Lucy with her cup of tea and me with my mug of coffee.

After Lucy had some breakfast and then we got straight on with making some bread for lunch. We used the recipe we had used before that everyone loved:
  • 600g Strong white flour (Hovis)
  • 28-30g Butter
  • 7g Fast acting dried yeast (Tesco's)
  • 330ml Semi skimmed milk
  • 1 Tablespoon of salt
  • 1 1/2 Tablespoons of sugar
Lucy help me pour in all the ingredients and then switch the machine on. While we were doing this Catherine got up to join us and made herself some breakfast. Then the wake girls got on with some more art work before having a rest which involved watching television between reading stories. Lucy painted a lovely picture of everyone she cares for that was rather sweet, that ended up on the door in the kitchen.


Emily's lay in again was disturbed and it was Lucy who decided she should get up. This involved getting into the bunk bed with her. In order to do this Lucy worked out if she used her blue step she could get onto the ladder to get into her bed. There was no stopping her and once she was up there with Emily she began tickling her until she gave up and got up.

Once Emily was awake and dressed we headed out to what Lucy calls the purple park. It is actually the village park in Someby which is near the riding stables as you leave the village towards Leicester. It is a lovely little park and has a small football pitch which, unfortunately it was usable today due to maintenance work. That didn't stop us having fun. Lucy loves it there, although Emily and Catherine were a bit mystified as to why it was called the purple park until I pointed out the colour of the slide that Lucy loves. They played all kinds of games there and had a great time. Lucy loved watching the people on the horses go passed the park and the riders that waved to her made her smile.  It was great way to spend the time while we waited for the bread to finish cooking at home.


Once home we entered the house to smell of freshly cooked bread, the only smell of baking that rivals the smell of cooking cakes. It was really lovely and it is such a homely smell. Everyone wanted to tuck into the bread straight away but we had to wait for it to cool for a while. Not mean enough not to give them a taster I cut off the crust and that all sampled the lovely hot bread. The recipe works really well but I think I might just drop the salt content a bit next time. I just don't think we are use to as much salt as a family and it comes across a bit strong. All the same when we did get to make the sandwiches with bread they were lovely. It is so much better than processed bread full of preservatives and other stuff.

Once lunch was over and the food had gone down we headed out again this time to Oakham. Lucy's face was a picture when pulled up next to the park. She was so pleased she screamed with delight and soon as I got her little tricycle out of the car she was speeding down to the entrance, then down into the playground. It was nice to take them all there, but for Lucy I think it was special, as the place is for me. I love this little park and I always will. It was of nicest in this fair country. Soon they were all playing but soon it became time for their treat.



The treat in question was milkshakes at the Castle Café which just a short walk from the park. I hadn't been there for over a year and the last time I was there I had a grand time with Lucy. Today was even better because I had all of them together. I would recommend the café to anyone that comes here. The milkshakes are lovely, they make a great pot of tea and the surroundings are to die for. It has really pretty in the garden and it is the ideal place to just sit and drink. Even on your own you can just take a book and relax as you have your pot of tea. You never feel rushed and the service always comes with a smile. The girls loved it and so did I. It was a lovely treat.

Once we had finished at the café we headed back to the park complete with the tricycle. Soon Lucy was riding the tricycle around the playground stopping off to go down the slides or around and around on the roundabout. She was in her element. When she spotted her bigger sisters on the swings she ran off to find them and soon they were all playing together on the older children rides. For as much pleasure as I get from playing with Lucy I get an equal amount from watching them al play together. It was just a shame that time always catches up on you and we had to leave as the parking I paid for was running out.


There was one thing left to do before we left the town and that was go shopping. With only two supermarkets in town there isn't much choice but we can get all we want too. The product range is better in the Co Op but Tescos is cheaper. It was the later went to today. We needed something for dinner and I'm always on look out of offers for meals later in the week. On the offers side I wasn't disappointed and picked up a couple of days meals basically at half price. I love shopping with the girls although it can be slightly more expensive having the older two with me. They tend to want extras but we normally reach a compromise as to what we can afford and can't afford and it probably doesn't help that I buy them treats too if they are there with me. What I love about taking Lucy is the way she is so keen to help. She emptied the trolley for me and then as always charmed the checkout lady as I finished the packing before paying.

For dinner I roasted some chicken portions which we had with some vegetables, new potatoes and of course stuffing. It something I do when we want a quick Sunday dinner except I will normally do it then with garlic mini roasts. Today it wasn't a substitute that is coming tomorrow and I already have already joint in the fridge,  The girls loved it and Lucy was almost begging people for the crispy chicken skin. There was loads of food and after all the energy expired during the day some hungry people to eat it all. It so lovely to be all at the table enjoying each others company, and even playing the old games of the past.

There was time to burn off some energy after dinner as always before it became time for Lucy to go the land of nod after stories from Emily, Catherine and myself. There was no missing out on her cuddles and kiss before she closed her eyes to sleep. The big girls went to there own room to unwind before joining in the land of nod to sleep.

Thankfully as the day wore on my neck improved, and although not right it didn't stop us doing anything, and nor did the weather thankfully. The rain in the grey clouds stayed away and at one point the sun came out and made us all smile. It been another grand day and lets hope we can have another one tomorrow. It lovely to be able to plan what we are doing and have loads of fun doing it.

No comments: