Sunday, 14 August 2011

Fun by the Water

Today something special happened. Something that has been missing since all the problems with contact started because of how we were going to share the cost of Lucy being here. Lucy at last felt at home again. Gone by the end of the day was just the over excitement of being home with me and all the demands of attention. She was at last happy to just be. She was herself and as always we all loved having her here. It might of not been the sunniest day, but it has been a happy day and so nice to see Lucy happy and contented.


As usual I was woken by a little voice calling my name and as I entered the room she gathered up her things. As soon as we were downstairs she took over my seat with her and made herself comfortable while I got on with making a coffee and some tea for her. It wasn't long before we were sitting together and watching some children's television while we both woke up.

The next person up, as always, was Catherine and she headed straight for the kitchen to make herself some breakfast and some for Lucy too, which they ate together at the table before going off to the family room to play. It was as the church bells started to peel their morning call that Lucy went off to get Emily up. Neediest to say Lucy used her step to get into Emily's bed to jump on her. Emily once dressed came down to join in with there games.


At the eleven we headed out the Oakham Park. The idea being to combine some shopping and fun what was had in the town. Like the day before they had a grand time playing all things there and letting off steam. It is just great watching them run around. Lucy is in her element there. It was just a shame we didn't have longer there, but I had plans.

We did need much at the supermarket, just some drinks, bread and filling for some sandwiches. We were planning to go on a picnic and we just need all the bits we needed for the day. All the other food for our Sunday Dinner I had got the day before and thanks to my Tescos Clubcard points and it going to be a treat.


When we got home Catherine made the sandwiches, and I got on with packing the picnic bag. It has been ages since we have been of a picnic and without looking through blog I couldn't even tell what month it was, all I know is it was probably sometime around this time last year. As you can imagine everyone was excited especially Lucy.

The destination for our picnic was Rutland Water. We followed this up with a trip to the adventure playground to burning off all the food we all ate. Although the it wasn't sunny it was still warm enough to sit on the grass near the banks of the reservoir to eat and later for the girls to play ball together with some balls we brought from Tescos while we were there. They were having a great time with the balls. One particular moment that was funny was when Lucy announced she had lost her ball with the straightest of faces. After the girls questioned her for a while as to where it could have gone as they looked around she started to smile. She had found a hole in the ground and put the ball in the hole and sat on it.  Emily and Catherine pounced on her and tickled her, it was just so funny. We all laughed so hard.


The adventure playground is always a big hit with the girls and has been since the first time I ever went there. Today was no different. It was amazing to see how Lucy's confidence has grown since our last visit there. The slide is only accessible up a step ramp with wooden logs to put your feet on and a rope to hold. In the past to get her up there Emily would sit at the top and I would pass her up. That is how we started today but after she watch some other children only slightly bigger than her go up the ramp she had a go herself. She was so pleased when she made it on her first attempt and I was so proud of her. After that there was no stopping her. Just like Emily and Catherine she is amazing.

It wasn't the only thing that happened of note. There was Catherine and Emily racing around the assault course, with me timing them to see who could get round in the shortest time. There was Lucy trying to copy her sisters on the assault course and cheating on the bits she couldn't do. There were the swings for Lucy and the climbing net for Emily and Catherine. It was just fun. Of course all three of them founds some friends to play with and that occupied there time towards then end until time ran out on us for the afternoon.


As soon as we got home I had to get dinner on and the girls went off to play around the house. The treat I had planned was a roast leg of lamb. We hadn't had one for so long and I know it is Emily favourite meat and mine. Unfortunately I didn't have any rosemary or garlic to stick into it. I know there is fresh rosemary in the garden, but I just can't remember where and I didn't want to put the wrong herb in the meat, so I just roasted it as it was. I add to this some roast potatoes and some lovely fresh vegetables and mint sauce to taste. There was so much meat I knew we wouldn't need Yorkshire puddings to bulk the meal out. It was all rather yummy when it was cooked and the house smelt divine. There wasn't a bit of lamb left by the end of the meal and all but Lucy cleaned their plates.

With dinner out of the way there was time left for the girls and myself to play some more. There is a kid all of us there say and I'm glad I can still connect with mine when I'm allowed. It is what we all desire. With all the troubles we have in life, all we want at end of the day is to have fun. We don't want to pull down by the negative things in life. This is what happened today and as Lucy had her stories for the night, together with her cuddles and kisses I knew we had a good day. That made me happy. We worked as a unit as a family, even if it was just for a day and I could forget that will soon be gone again.

It has been another wonderful day with the girls. I just loved having them altogether and going out with them and just having fun. I love being a father and I have three lovely girls I love so much. It's just wonderful.

No comments: