Monday, 1 November 2010
Artist of the Week - The Dresden Dolls
This weeks Artist of the week are a duo/band called the Dresden Dolls. The a little bit different from the other artists featured so far in the blog but my musical tastes are varied and sometimes so pops up at you that grabs your attention for no particular reason.
Unlike the other artists of the week this is not one that I have ever listened to until a few days ago. I was just searching around the internet for music on "You Tube" for something to listen to and I came across them. What I instantly liked was the theatrical style of some of there music and I was fasinated by some of the themes of there songs.
The Dresden Dolls are a "Brechtian Punk Cabaret" band, a phrase they invented themselves so they didn't get labeled as a Gothic band. They formed in 2000 and the band consists of Amanda palmer and Brian Viglione, both multi talented musicians. Soon they were being noticed by critics and their fan base grew and grew as they won a number of music awards. Over the years they have released four albums one of which is a live album and another a compilation of there work. In 2008 the band members took some time out to work on their individual music but since then they have started a reunion tour that started last night in New York.
I just want to know more about their music and that is why I'm really looking forward to listening to them in the car over the next week. I hope you search out some of their music and find something in it you like and can take away with you from the experience.
Posted by
Roy
Labels:
Artist of the Week,
Music,
Video
No comments:
Post a Comment