Thursday, 4 November 2010
Game Design
This might seem silly but I feel like a kid in a toy shop. I just starting to teach a course in game design and I feel so excited about teaching some thing new. Why am I so excited when it will mean lots of work, well it is the reason why I started programming computers in the first place. My first computer program was a space game based around the original Star Trek game that was written and played on mainframe computers. Although I never had time to finish it but what it did do was teach me how computers work and how to program them.
I spent many an hour in the school computer room which was no bigger than a cupboard typing away and missing the extra English lessons I was meant to be taking at the time, not that the Maths teacher cared, he was just glad to see the computer being used. For me it was a real eye opener and I was amazed at what the simple computers of the time can do.
Now I can take the enthusiasm I had then and give it back and I hope instill and motivate the students. Looking at the unit I'm teaching on Mondays I can see how interesting it is going to be to teach and learn at the same time. After meeting the students I'm so looking forward to the new challenge. I knew I was in the right place as soon as the head of department says that the best qualification is a love of game playing. I knew then I was teaching the right subject,


No comments:
Post a Comment