Thursday, 11 November 2010
Books - Terry Pratchett
One of the authors I have always enjoyed is Terry Pratchett. I find his works both funny and clever while being a wonderful red. The world he has created is rich, colurful and full of detail. Just the thing you need when going to work on a train in the morning when you want to forget the hustle and bustle of the world around you.
Emily has read "Harry Potter" series of books over and over again and I thought it was about time she moved onto something else in the same sort of vain, but this time funny as well. Years ago she read "Only You can Save Mankind" a childrens book by the same author and she enjoyed it immensely so I'm hoping she can will really love the Discworld series. I have started her off on "Guards Guards" the story of the City Watches fight with a Dragon. Hopefully I can then move her on to the witches series once she is engaged in the world. I'm sure her active imagination will love the books and find the concepts, especially the scientific ones, fascinating.
It is such a shame that a talent as great as Terry Pratchett with and amazing mind has be struck with the awful illness that is Alzheimer's disease which will eventually eat his mind away until he can write no more. Currently he has too dictate his novels to his assistant and has great trouble reading. His wish is to die before the illness reaches the critical phase and is in favor of "assisted suicide", a term he hates. Lets hope the progress of the disease is slow and he is around for a few years yet.


No comments:
Post a Comment