Sunday, 28 November 2010
Emily Turns Twelve
Today is a special day in that Emily turns twelve. It doesn't seem that long ago she was Lucy's age and now she is starting to get all grown up. Sometimes I think I don't know where all those years have gone. I guess as a parent your just to busy getting on with life and bring them up that time seems to fly. I just hope she has a great day and enjoys it to the full and knowing Emily I'm sure she will.
Overnight Lucy kept waking so everyone had a disturbed sleep. There was no reason for her waking other than being generally unwell so thankfully with a cuddle and some reassuring words she quickly fell back to sleep. It really isn't like Lucy to wake in the night and her rash must have been bothering her a bit or the effects of having it. When she did finally wake for the day it was slightly later than normal so I guess she got the same amount of sleep as normal in the end.
I was woken by the sound Lucy calling me and when I got out of bed a few minutes later I found Emily and Lucy laying in Lucy's bedroom. They were both playing with the dolls house that Lucy got for her Birthday earlier in the month. It was lovely to find them playing together and Emily still loves dolls houses as much as she did when she first played with Mary's many moons ago and to see her playing the same way as she did then was wonderful. Soon Catherine joined us and Emily went off to dress as Lucy, Catherine and myself went downstairs to do some cooking.
The cooking we had to do was making a chocolate covered chocolate cake for Emily Birthday. It been her favourite cake since the first mouthful she ever ate so it was only right she had one for her Birthday. Lucy had a great time adding the ingredients while Catherine didi the mixing. By the time we had finished mixing the cake Emily appeared just in time for licking out the bowl. I'm not sure how she knew when to turn up but her timing was perfect. Soon the cake was in the oven and then cooling on the side. I decorated it later covering it chocolate icing and sprinkling on some icing sugar to signify the snow that is still everywhere.
After they finished with the licking of the bowl and I finished cleaning off Lucy all the girls went off to play in the family room together. All I could hear was fun and laughter even from Lucy as the Calpol I had given here started to work. Eventually they were all joined be Charlie and George who had come round to see Emily on here Birthday and even brought her a card and a present to add to the ones she had got early in the day. I don't know how Emily's money fund is doing but I know among the cards she a few notes that fell out onto the floor as she opened them.
For lunch I did some party food for the girls and their guests who they invited to stay. It was great to hear them all having so much fun at the table and enjoying there food. Lucy was on top form making people laugh with her little comments. She just loves the attention when they laugh at her. I can see we are going to have two comedians at the table soon Emily and her little sister Lucy to make us giggle. With the party food all the gone it was time for the lighting of the cake and the blowing out of the candles. As soon as all the candles were lit they all sang "Happy Birthday" before Emily made her wish and blew them all out. Whatever that wish was I hope it all comes true.
After lunch they all went off to the family room to play until Catherines friends came round and she went out to take George the dog for a walk in the snow. That left Lucy with the Birthday Girl and her friends to play until it was time for eventually to return. Just before I left she came in from playing for a cuddle and it was clear she was starting to flag again so it was out with the Calpol to liven her up again before she returned chatting all the way back in the car. Reports later suggested it had done the trick and she was hurtling around at her mummies.
When I drop off off Lucy in Oakham I was given a Birthday card for Emily to take back to her. Emily really liked the fact that Mary had written her it in her own hand, that meant the world to her but she was disappointed when she saw Kiz hadn't signed it and asked what she had done wrong. I didn't know what to say, somethings just can't be worked. I don't have an answer that makes any sense.
With the Lucy gone the house was rather quiet and the girls went on to the computers to talk to there friends on Facebook, watch BBC iPlayer and play games. As the sun went down I made another fire as requested by Emily to warm the house and make it seem cosy int these cold dark days and after and hour or so I got on with making dinner for everyone. Of course the biggest fire hog of everyone in the house is George who despite having a in built fur coat just loves laying front of the fire until he is so hot he goes off behind the sofa to cool down. We didn't see the girls until dinner when they came in to eat. There was hardly a peep from the family room and it was a complete contrast to earlier in the day.
After dinner the girls went back to doing what they were doing before in the family room making there reappearance when the X-Fator results show came on. They were both happy to see the end of Wagner and I must admit after so many weeks and seeing better people go so was I. It was a shame that Katie had to go when she was just starting to really find herself but I guess it was clear she wouldn't make the final with the press against her. After the X-factor there was a bit of quiet time and then it was off to bed.
I have had a wonderful long weekend with Emily, Catherine and Lucy. It was made even better by it being Emily's Birthday weekend and watching her having so much fun with her sisters. Of course, although I was a winner, Emily's mum missed out and I hope she has a lovely time with her next weekend when she sees her again. I'm sure she will knowing Abigail and how much she loves both Catherine and Emily.

No comments:
Post a Comment