Friday, 19 November 2010

Misty Shopping

When I got up and saw the mist and it looked like it would be one of those days that turned out to be really nice by time had burnt the mist away, but today the sun never managed that trick and it was with us for all of the day. The only time we did manage to see the sun was late in the day when we were out driving and managed to climb enough to rise above it for a brief few minutes. I must say it did look lovely when we did see the sun with the rest of the countryside around us was covered in a sea of white.


Other than the mist the day was rather normal to start off with. Emily and Catherine to school, coffee and shower and then off to Oakham to pick up little Lucy. The only thing different today was I picked up the pushchair for latter in the day we were planning to go looking round the shops. Idea's for christmas were need as well getting an idea of what we could afford on our budget.


Lucy was in fine form chatting away as we returned to Langham telling me of her exploits that she could remember. She also told me she asked her mummies about Mary coming, something she asked me last time she was hers. Of course the answer was as I expected. I don't know what she is worried about what is she going to say, but it is up to her. It is just a shame for all of the children concerned it is like this for them. That aside we had a lovely chat and soon we were home to be greeted my George and his wagging tail dancing on his hind legs.

I spent most of the morning playing with Lucy in the house and occasionally outside in the garden with Lucy on her tricycle after I dried off the seat for her. She loves that little tricycle even though it is looking old and battered and has seen better days. Maybe in the spring I can get a can of sprat paint and tidy it up for her so it see another summer out before she grows out of it all together. IT won't cost much but it will make it look a bit more respectable. 


It wasn't until lunchtime that we headed out to the shops in Melton to get some food to each and have a noisy around. As we got out the car in the car park we could here a clarinet player busking on the street. It was strange in away because the mist was playing with the sound making it sound almost erie and I bet the poor fellow was cold on his seat it wasn't the warmest of days for earning a few pennies. 

We first headed off for the cashpoint to get some cash before finding some food from one of the many bakers in the town. As usual Lucy went for a sausage roll while we set out to indulged ourselves in some of the other fine baking the shop had to offer. Unfortunately the food had just been cooked and was far to hot to eat straight away and it all had to wait a bit until it had cooled down. To pass the time we started our look around the shops.


The first shop we pooped into of note was Wilkinsons with the aim of looking around and buying some drinks to go with our lunch. We did expect what happened next. I went to look at the plumbing stuff  before heading off to the toy area where Lucy had the time of her life. I had already spotted a toy cooker which I though she might like that she showed interest in but when I found them had moved onto the Peppa Pig mirror and makeup set and then onto a toy digger which was her favourite by miles. It had a electrically controlled bucket at the front, which I thought would be ideal for cleaning up toys at the end of the day. She also tried out the drum set and the powered tractor which turned her nose up at and returned to the digger. If Wilkinsons ever want someone small to demonstrate the digger they have found their girl. She so wanted to drive it all around the shop it was all we could do to stop her. Thankfully she wasn't upset when it came time to leave, but then we were off to a chocolate shop. 

At the chocolate shop we brought sweets for Emily, Catherine and Lucy. Lucy helped us pick what the other two girls might like and for herself pick a white chocolate snowman. She also had her eyes on all the other sweets but she was happy enough with her snowman. We looked round some of the other shops while we ate the food that cooled down along the way. It was lovely just to look around the shops and know you didn't have to get anything there and then. We got loads of ideas what Lucy might like before we had to return home.


When we got home and after we picked Emily up from school we headed off to Ashwell to the farm shop to buy some food for dinner. They stock Grasmere Farm pork products those pigs are reared on stone ground meal, milled at their own watermill. We where there to buy their Rutland sausages. I must say were weren't disappointed they were absolutely wonderful as are all the pork products we have had from the farm before. I can really recommend them as well as the sausages from Northfield Farm that is just up the road from Langham. Talking about Northfield farm the sell the some of the best pork joints I have ever tasted and they are well worth the money.


With time marching onwards and dinner out of the way it was soon time for Lucy to return to Oakham with a little bag of sweets in her hand for other sister Mary and for Emily and Catherine to set off for Leeds for the weekend. With all the girls at their respective mother it was time to think about adult time and meeting up with an old friend for a meal on Saturday.

As always I had a lovely time and it was great fun seeing Lucy play with the toys in the shop. I miss the girls the weekends I don't have them but it can't be helped. I just hope they have a great time.

No comments: