Saturday, 27 November 2010
Snowy Saturday
After all the promise of snow it finally came over night and when I woke up the garden was covered in blanket of snow. Just enough to make a few snowballs and have some fun. I'll let you imagine how excited all the girls were when they opened the curtains and saw what I had seen a few minutes earlier.
They were all so keen to get out and make foot prints in the snow that I have never seen them get dressed so fast. It was at this point that I noticed how bad Lucy's rash had become since yesterday. It seems to have spread and become more inflamed. She was also complaining as I changed her pull up and her clothes that it hurt. She wasn't herself but I gave her some Calpol and hoped that would do the trick so she could get out and play. Thankfully it did and after getting her wrapped up really warm they all went out to play in the snow. Lucy did her best to join in but soon wanted to come in and rest. Emily and Catherine in contrast had a ball of a time in the snow and had a snowball fight.
With the initial playing in the snow out of the way it was time for some breakfast and as soon as Catherine was back in the house she was making something for Lucy and herself. Lucy did well eating her Breakfast all things considered, at least she isn't off her food which is always a concern when they are poorly. After Breakfast Emily and Catherine went outside until it was time for Catherine extra Maths lesson, while Lucy just settled down to watch a DVD she had picked off the self. It so unlike her to be so inactive while she is her. She normally doing stuff all the time.
Catherine is really doing well at her Maths now after the extra lessons. Her speed at doing mental Maths is now increasing and her confidence is growing and it paying off in school too. At the last parents evening her teacher was say how well she is coming on and what a delight she is teach. Her confidence in the classroom is growing and rather than sitting and not asking for help she in now making sure she asks when she needs to. Hopefully she can make up for the problems with her hearing that went unnoticed for so long and she will get good grades in STAT's in the summer.
After Catherine had finished she want back off in the family room to watch a DVD with Lucy who was still resting on the sofa. although Lucy seemed a bit better than she was and was chatting a bit more she was quite happy to stay put. When I changed her bottom the rash was even worse than in the morning. Clearly it is still developing. Thankfully it isn't bothering her too much and she is not trying to scratch it, all the same I put some cream on it to stop it getting infracted should it rub on her nappy. I don't want it to be any bad for her than it is already.
For lunch the girls had soap for lunch with a lovely loaf of fresh bread. Catherine and Emily had Tomato soap while Lucy went for the Scotch Broth , which she liked the last time I had it. It is strange that Emily and Catherine will only eat Tomato soup while Lucy loves all the soups I have, you would have thought by now that it would be the other way round given the former are a lot order. All the same it did the trick and warmed them up before they all went out again to enjoy the snow. Emily and Catherine with their friends while Lucy played with me in the garden until she got to cold and tired again.
In the afternoon we popped to the shops for supplies leaving Emily playing around at Charlies and Georges house. It was a good thing we didn't have Lucy with us as we had to buy the food and the stuff to make a cake for Emily's Birthday linch. The supermarket was really busy, like it always is when there is snow about, everyone goes mad and starts to think they will get snowed in and they buy up the whole shop. A thirty minute shop took nearly an hour in total from the moment we got there until we left. On the way home we popped to the Co Op garage to buy some coal for a fire later when the sun went down before returning home to play some more. Thankfully Lucy was starting to pick up but her rash was getting worse as the day went on.
It was a lovely sunset in the snow when it came along. The sky was such a lovely colour as the sun went down. It was as it got dark that I light the first fire of the winter to warm the house and make it feel homely. There really is nothing like sitting in the glow of the fire late at night knowing the snow is on the ground and you are all nice and snuggly. It one of the things I loved about the house when I saw it. Lucy was scared of the fire at first but soon she got use to it and loved the warmth it gave. I think George helped by laying in front of it and warming his tummy until he got to hot and moved away.
After the fire was lit I got on with making dinner. As it is Emily's birthday on Sunday we decided to have our Sunday lunch a day early. Tonight we had Roast Chick, our second roast of the week on Thursday we had roast beef which is Catharines favourite. Everyone loved and for once I got the roast parsnips just right. I had been working on the cooking time for a few weeks and got it spot on. We also discovered that Lucy loves the brown chicken meat as much as I do which is rather handy as Emily normally has a leg and recently she has moved on to the breast. I love what she said on Facebook about dinner time: "Fire in the fire place, roast chicken in the oven, snow out side and my birthday tomorrow. What else could I ask for?"
With dinner out of the way there was a little time for Lucy to play before bedtime and tried her best to make the most of it and thanks to Calpol she at least was in a good mood for most of the day. All to soon it was bath time and what a bath time it turned out to be. It turned into a bubble fight and everyone there was covered in bubbles and Lucy was laughing her head off. It was so nice to see her having so much fun after a rather quiet day for her. I was covered in head to foot in bubbles. It was just a shame it had to come to an end and with her hair washed it was out of the bath and off to bed. After her stories she settled down to sleep exhausted from the day.
With Lucy tucked up in bed we settled down to watch the X-Factor around the fire. I'm loving this years show and I'm finding it interesting in terms of how people vote. I finding that people vote for the norm, Wagner aside, and those that are different or unique don't seem to do well, but that is another possible subject for other another post on the blog. The only problem was that I was enjoying the show so much I forgot to send a update to her mummy, but I did it while Wagner was singing his second song. Soon it was time for Emily and Catherine to join Lucy in the land of nod and off they went to bed, and so the day ended for all of them.
It has been a lovely day and everyone has had so much fun. Lucy despite her illness really did make the best of the day. I hope tomorrow is just as lovely for Emily. You only turn twelve once. In the morning we have thing to do but you can read about that in tomorrows post.

No comments:
Post a Comment