Friday, 5 November 2010

Fun and Fireworks

It was one of those days where the weather could do almost anything and if it hadn't have been so mild for the last few days you would have included in the list snow. It was just that sort of day and we got it all, sun, cloud, wind and rain. The sort of unpredictable weather of a British autumn day. It was also a special Friday in that we had Lucy to stay over night to make up for the night I lost while I was away. I really didn't want to miss out on having her for a single night and being bonfire night gave us a chance to do something different.


This was the last day that Catherine was away on her residential school trip. All the reports we had said they were having a great time, although one boy had managed to break his arm while messing about in his bunk bed. So like all the mornings this week the only person I had to get up for school was Emily who in typical Emily Friday mode wanted to stay in bed. All the same we did manage to get to school on time with a little hurrying along. 

When I got back there was time for a coffee and a quick shower before it was off out again to get little Lucy. She really has grown up recently and says the most lovely things when I take her back home. She really does make me smile with what she wants out of life and the way she is always so happy to see me. Soon I can see her telling me all about her life and what she has been doing since we last met. I love talking to her.


When we arrived home she headed straight upstairs to her bedroom to play with her new dolls house that she got for her Birthday. It seems like the dolls house was a real winner and she kept saying how it was like Mary's dolls house. It must make her feel like such a big girl having toys like one of her sisters. Soon she had me upstairs playing with her and showing me the games she had been playing with the little dolls and car that go with her house. In between trips upstairs she came down to see George and play in the family room. Mainly with her big dolls and their push chair today.

Around lunchtime we popped out in the car and got ourselves some food from the fish shop in Cottesmore. It has to be one of the best fish and chip shops in the area and if you are in these parts and you fancy a bite to eat I really would recommend it. They have a small restaurant there but today we brought our food home to eat. We have got to keep the place open somehow as it is really going to suffer when the RAF base goes, as the whole village. 


After lunch it was back to playing in the family room and upstairs in her bedroom for Lucy until it got time to pick up Emily from school. I can't list all the games she play this afternoon she was going from one toy to the next when ever she saw something that took her fancy. As always when we got Emily she got a super welcome from Lucy and we headed home to wait for Catherine to return.

It was at around four that we got the phone call telling us that Catherine would be back at half past four. I was quite pleased they made good time on the return trip as i expected them to get back much later and it meant the plans I had for the evening could go ahead. The only thing that could stop them was the weather.


I went with Lucy to the school to pick her up and Catherine was so pleased to see us. You should have seen her face when she saw Lucy, she didn't expect to see her to next week and she shouted her name in joy and gave her a big cuddle. Poor  Lucy didn't know what to do when she noticed all the that people were there picking up other children and went quite shy on us. All the way home and even after we got home Catherine told us much about her adventures as her sore throat would allow. I feel there is still a lot to tell but that will come out when she is better and she can talk again. It was lovely to have them all together again and listen to them playing. Catherine loved Lucy's dolls house which she hadn't seen and later in the day gave her a small present she wasn't able to give on her Birthday. A small toy car that Lucy then took everywhere with her.

When it came time to think about going off to the bonfire and fireworks display at Cottesmore the rain was falling and it wasn't the sort of night to be taking a three year old or a ten year old with a cold out into the rain to get wet through. A change of plan was needed so we headed out in the car to go firework spotting starting with the display at Cottesmore before heading out to the display at Twin Lakes at Melton spotting fireworks along the way. At least this way we would be dry and warm. It turned out to be a good thing we did because we soon discovered although Lucy loved looking at the fireworks she was less than keen on the noise they made. 


Both displays were fantastic and surprisingly the shorter display at Cottesmore was the best of the two. It was funny that it seemed the whole of Melton watched the display at Twin Lakes from the side of the A607. When we were leaving were we parked they were all walking back into town. We did wonder how many people actually bother to pay the nine pounds to watch the display actually in the adventure park itself.

As a side note there was an other entertainment on offer, watching the people wonder how they were going to get there car out of the ditch they managed to drive into, it looked rather worse for wear when we passed it and there was a lot of head scratching going on. It look like they needed a tractor with a rope!


We all had a lovely time watching the fireworks and with the money we saved from the not going to an actual display we splashed out on dinner at KFC in Melton. So although it rained and we missed out on the bonfire to go with our fireworks we did have a lovely supper that everyone enjoyed. 

With it getting very late for Lucy we headed home as soon as we finished eating and the first thing we did was get Lucy in her bath. It was well past her normal bedtime but bonfire night comes but once a year. I bathed Lucy on my own tonight. After bath it was straight into bed for her stories from Catherine and me before her kiss and cuddles form those she loves. As soon I left the room her eyes closed and she was quickly in the land of the fairies and dreams. 


With Lucy in bed Catherine and Emily went off to the family room to unwind. Catherine to catch up on some of the television she missed and Emily to talk to her friends on Facebook. Catherine was partially tired after her week away and so it didn't take long for her to fall asleep. It was almost the moment she fit the pillow. 

It's been a lovely day and there is more to come in the morning when I get up with Lucy and we are joined Catherine and Emily. I'm so glad I asked for the night I missed back and I'm sure Lucy has loved it too. She is just a joy to have in the house. She makes everyone smile. Hopefully our Lucy has had a fantastic week with her Birthday and with the fireworks and always will have Birthday weeks like this in future. I can't wait to Tuesday to have the girls together again.

No comments: