Sunday, 15 May 2011
Eurovision 2011
I gave up watching Eurovision years ago because of the voting although the Catherine watched it this year. I must admit I was intrigued enough to find out what the UK entry was like. I know it has had next to no air play on the radio nationally and so I thought I would seek it out on YouTube and here it is.
I was pleasantly surprised it was a lot better than I thought it would be and it has all the makings of a good Eurovision song and a pop song in general. Catchy tune and chorus with lyrics that tell a story combined with a band that can sing. There isn't much more you can ask of it. It does what it is meant to do and stays in your head.
Eurovision is of course more about politics than taste in music and good songs. No matter how good the song is the United Kingdom entry doesn't even have a chance. That is not the way the contest works. It is why I gave up watching the show because the contest is a farce sometimes musically. It is a shame really when it has potential to be a lot more.
Finally in case you are interested we came eleventh out of the twenty five nations that took part in the final with Azerbaijan winning tonight's show, with a lovely little song. Well done to them and at least they had one of the songs that deserved to win for a change.
No comments:
Post a Comment