Friday, 20 May 2011

A Better Day

At last a day that looked like it was going to be warm enough actually to make something out of it despite having lots to do. All the same as I was determined to get out at some point with Lucy and have a potter around the village. I wanted to end the days I been having that have been emotional and smile and just relax.


I  got in time to see the girls off to school. Emily left first to met up with her friends before they made their way to school while Catherine had breakfast. I think she is really loving the quiet time before she goes to school. It is a chance for her to wake up while one her nosier sisters is out of the way. While I just enjoy spending a little time with her on my own. These days it feels I get so little of that sort of interaction with the girls.

Soon she was gone and I was left on my own to do my own thing. First I checked out the weather forecast which seemed to match the expectations at the start of the day until it was time for Lucy to leave at least, then I read the news. It is funny I find myself reading more news these days, but then again I don't listen to as much radio news as I use to. That use to be my prime source of news and I miss it to be honest. After I finished reading I just relaxed and messed about finishing off a blog post and thought of some more to write for the future.


All this took me nicely up until just before noon when it was time to get Lucy from nursery. I headed out to Oakham to pick her up. When I got to the nursery I got a lovely welcome from her as she rushed through the gate and into my arms for a cuddle. Today she had some flowers she had made in a little pot, they were lovely, and as we walked to the car she carried them with such care. I wanted her to save them for her mummy. I'm so proud of her and the things she can do now. As we walked we chatted about this and that and soon we were at the car and heading to the supermarket in Oakham. 

At the supermarket Lucy sat in the trolly and we whizzed around getting the things we needed for lunch and dinner. I still love going shopping with Lucy we have so much fun and I just love the way she helps me at the checkout. Today the checkout girl tried to get Lucy to talk but without any success. She just went all shy but at least she has stopped hiding which she would have done a few months ago. I hope her confidence keeps building with people, it is funny how they lose it at her age.


When we got home I started making lunch. Today we were having hot bacon rolls. You can't beat the smell of cooking bacon and it filled the kitchen with the most delightful smells that simply make the mouth water in anticipation. They went down really well with everyone. For Lucy there was also something else to eat. She had an ice lolly for pudding. Milk ones that she had picked while we were shopping.  

After lunch I went out with Lucy around the village. She was keen to see the black cat we had met before on our walk, unfortunately it wasn't about this time we were out. I had asked as we were leaving where she wanted to go and she said the Church and the Park. It was to the church we headed to first. When we got there she started to play and the one thing she focused on was the piano. This wasn't unusual as I knew she liked playing it, but how she played it today did amaze me. The thing she was doing that was different was that she was playing with two hands and picking notes that were in harmony or parts of cords. She just didn't do this once but again and again. It was like she had learned which keys went with the other keys to make a nice sound. She is only three and never knew they had such good ears for sounds and how to combine them. She seems to have a musical side to her nature that is lovely to see.


Once we had finished at the church we moved on to the park, via the path by the stream that flows through the village. As we walked we chatted about this and that and somehow she ended talking about dresses. She was telling me about a white dress she loved pinning around in before she moved on to a similar dress her sister has, she did mention another dress but I didn't think it was hers. It sounded like they had both been playing in these dresses and it made me smile to think of them spinning around and laughing. It was a lovely picture and in my mind I could hear their giggles. O bet they both looked really pretty.

When we got to the park she was in her element. I love to see her smile and laugh, as I do when Emily and Catherine are in the same state of excitement, although in Emily's case this is starting fade as the state education machine takes hold, but that is another story for another post. She was really in her element as the sun came out and the hint of summer returned. It was so lovely in the warm sun watching her and playing with her. It wasn't long before the coats came off and we were both enjoying the sunshine. Every time I see her she amazes me, they all do, and today was no exception. Her confidence continues to build in her physical ability as does her use of language and expression. She is such a little character now and reminds me of Emily at this age. Sort of cheeky and funny.



As we walked back from the park the local school was finishing for the day, but unfortunately we left it a little to late to pick up Catherine from school. The last of the children were leaving with their parents as we arrived at the bottom of the walk. It was a bit of a shame I hadn't watch the time more closely as Lucy want to see Catherine at school. All the same, she saw her soon enough and after entering the house she went straight up to Catherines room to see her. While they were playing upstairs I got on with a few odd jobs until Emily came home. On hearing her shout "Hello", Lucy came down to give her a big hug and then insisted that I show her the little video of playing the piano in the church. This gave Emily an idea and soon they were both upstairs playing on the keyboard together as I got on with dinner. 

Tonight everyone sat down to eat together at the table. It is always lovely having them all eating at the same time. Fun was had by all and the timing of the meal meant there was just enough time for the girls to play together before Lucy had return to Oakham. It felt sadder than normal today taking her back, although I'm not sure why and the nerves were still there as I dropped her off. Strange how it is all getting so emotional again. I guess just more sensitive at the moment to everything and can bury my emotions which are so strong. I really thought I had put that phase behind me rubbish behind me. I did my best not to show it to anyone, but it was still there.


The last thing to do with the girls that were left was to them to met there mum so they could go to Leeds for the weekend. They love going to see their mum and they really look forward to it. I feel sometimes it was a shame I put so much distance between them and the rest of their family but at the time I did it for the best reason at the time and I know they love Rutland as much as they do Leeds. It just a pity there the two places are so far apart. Thankfully the internet means they can always chat with their mum on Facebook or on webcam, something children in the same situation wouldn't have had in days gone by.

It always feels so strange when they have all gone. You just get use to them being about and the noise they make just seems part of the life of the house. It's not that I mind the rest, it is welcome, it is just they seem to be always there. All the same I guess the freedom of doing adult things, knowing they will soon be back, it rather nice at times. I just wish I had the money to enjoy the time even more. I would live to go out for a drink at the pub.

Thankfully it has been a much day than those of the past few weeks. Yes, it had it's moments they have been small compared those of the past few visits Lucy has been here. I know there is a lot of stuff I will have to deal with that is going to spoil the days to come over the next few weeks, but I was grateful for today and the fun we all had. Still I want to know what is going on with Lucy and when she is moving. 

What is with all the delay and telling me. If it was the other way around I would and I knew a date I would have told Lucy's mummy when I was moving and have given her at least a months notice. I wouldn't have left it to days before it happened. I still don't understand why it has to be like this and probably never will. None of it makes any real sense, it is all really Crazy big time, then everything to do with this seems like that.

My aims in life have never changed. I want the same things in life that I have always wanted. I have some of them and I'm waiting for others to full into places. I will continue to work at the impossible because nothing is possible unless you try. You just have to look at history to know that if set goals you can achieve them even if at the time you set them they seem so improbable. I guess that is the optimist in me that wakes up looking forward to the day. I know what and who matters and however much life messes my plans up during the day, I can see past that to a better time.

[Just a technical note about Blogger and uploading pictures. For some reason the colours get washed out. There is some stuff about it on the web but it is not clear what the cure is. What I do know is this only occurs when I use the iBook and not the MacBook. Once I have the MacBook screen fixed this problem should go away. Until then if you want to see the pictures in there full glory just click on the pictures and look at them full size]

No comments: