Monday, 20 June 2011

Artist of the Week - Paolo Nutini

This weeks artist of the week is a Scottish singer with a not so scottish name who I rediscovered when looking through my iTunes for something to play recently, it is Paolo Nutini.


I came across Paolo Nutini shortly after the release of his first album back in 2006. In particular the song the song "Last Request" sticks with me from that time when I heard it again. It is just one of those songs that starys with you and that is the mark of a good singer and songwriter, better still if they can repeat the process and Paolo Nutini has done that. His first album was a big hit with me, but somehow I missed the second album although I do know some of the songs for it.


Paolo Nutini is a singer, songwriter and musician from Paisley in Scotland. He was encouraged to sing by his music-loving grandfather, a teacher, who recognised his talent and rather than going into the family fish and chip shop this is the route he took. Starting out in the music business as a roadie and a studio hand gave him the chance to study music and the business. In 2003 he got his big break in his home town when a local radio station organised a concert and one of the acts failed to turn up and he took their place. Impressed by the crowds reaction to this unknown singer a record manager at the concert signed him and Nutini  moved to London. Nutini's debut album was called These Streets and it was released by Atlantic Records back in July 2006 and it was in the charts for a record breaking 196 Weeks. Three years later in May 2009 Nutini released his second album, Sunny Side Up, which debuted at number one in the UK and it went on later to win the award for "Best International Album" at the 2010 Meteor Awards. Currently he is recording a new album.


Well I hope you like and enjoy listening to Paolo Nutini if you join me and listen to some of his work. If you really like him then can always go and listen to him live, he is currently on tour and details of the dates are on his website. I think it is always nice to listen to music from the past and it sometimes can just surprise you like next weeks Artist.

No comments: