Monday, 13 June 2011
Artist off the Week - Damien Rice
This Weeks artist of the Week sees the return to the more melodic sound that is great for late night listening. The Artist off the Week this week is Damien Rice. Not just as a singer but a writer of fine music too.
I came across Damien Rice while driving late one night when I heard him on the radio. I don't even remember what station I was listening to, but what I do remember is the song. It was called "9 Crimes" and it hunted me. Even now I find this song extremely powerful and moving. As soon as I got home I looked him up on the internet and listened to the song again and again. From there I discovered other songs and my appreciation grew for this fine artist.
Damien Rice is a Irish singer-songwriter and musician who was born on the 7th December 1973. He was raised in Celbridge, County Kildare, Ireland and began his musical career as a member of the 1990s rock group Juniper. In the end he left the group, and by 2001 he was working as a farmer and as a busker. A year later recorded his first solo album which made the top ten on the UK album chart. His second album was released four years later. He was received well by the music press but he has yet to find the acclaim he deserves. Personally I feel time will correct this oversight and one day he will receive the recognition he deserves.
I hope have enjoyed videos and if you haven't please make sure you listen to the second video. It was the second Damien Rice track I came across before I was lucky enough to be given one of his CD's. It is really moving. Finally someone talking about the last video on YouTube said:
"Damien Rice somehow creates songs so melancholic, so tragic - but so uplifting all at once. I don't know why, but I find solace in the tears his songs create. I feel less alone hearing his voice echo my own feelings. I suppose it's like someone reaching into your heart and offering a hand, saying "i feel it too"."
I know what they mean about his music and I'm so looking forward to listening to him again over the next week. I just hope you join me.
Posted by
Roy
Labels:
Artist of the Week,
Music,
Video
2 comments:
Damien is a god, just when you think he cant get any better - watch him live- truly an unforgettable experience....I hope he starts a tour again soon- he has been away too long.....
I agree. I would just love to see him live. When I heard 9 crimes I just thought it was amazing and the more I listen to him the better it gets.
Post a Comment